Extra long screws (like 300mm), are there such things?

I'm after some very long screws to enable me to get a grip in an old gatepost I'm trying to left out of the ground.
I've previously used the technique of using the hydraulic lift on my tractor pulling on screws put into the left over bit of post in the ground and it has worked well.
However this gatepost is somewhat bigger than I have attempted before and my biggest (120mm) screws don't give enough grip.
So I'm after something like a big woodscrew to get a grip in this post (it's broken below surface so I can't wrap things around it). Where can I get two or three very big screws?
--
Chris Green

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:59:43 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

http://www.swiftfix.co.uk/id24.html
--

Chris

Wow! :-)
I think I should be able to find something there, and they do small quantities.
Thank you.
--
Chris Green

On 23/04/2013 10:59, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

I can see fairly small packs of 200mm like http://www.screwfix.com/p/heco-topix-csk-woodscrews-8-x-200mm-pack-of-10/48527 but maybe they don't have enough thread
On 23/04/2013 11:23, Malcolm G wrote:

What about a length of threaded bar, point one end and square the other so a spanner can be used. Dont know if you would get enough grip from the threads though.
On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:59:43 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

Coach Screws?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/coach-screws-a2-stainless-steel-m6-x-90mm-pack- of-10/12898
Mainly for the image so you don't confuse 'em with Coach Bolts which have a machine thread not wood thread. Agricultral suppliers general have big ones.

Not possible to dig around it and whack some 6" nails in to stop a strop sliding off? Or even your existing screws.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Yes, I know they're called coach screws, but the longest that I can find on Screwfix are 160mm.

It might come to that but if I can pull it up with screws in the end it will be less work.
--
Chris Green

On 23/04/2013 10:59, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

Coach screws are probably what you want for that application.
http://www.swiftfix.co.uk/id423.html
Colin Bignell

Have you tried putting them in diagonally?
Chip away some of the wood until you get to something a bit solider?
And if that doesn't work get some huge coach bolts like the others here have said, but that'll cost ya!
On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:59:43 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

Any disused railway lines nearby? may still be some of the screws that held the track components down on the sleeper lying about in the undergrowth.
G.Harman
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

Thread hijack alert!
I have a long run of softwood post and rail fencing where the majority of the posts have rotted 6" below ground level. The rails are sound but get damaged during removal. Yes, I know. Hacksaw down the back!
I have two ideas:-
Cannibalise some sound posts into wedge ended stubs, whack them in at the back and bolt through.
Or, make up a *scissors* grab as used in forestry to grip the broken stub and carefully pull them out using the farm loader.
--
Tim Lamb

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

Why can't you just dig down one side of it and lift it out as normal?
On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:59:43 +0100, cl wrote:

http://www.suffolkfasteners.com/
Good for long coach bolts.
Cheers
Dave R
On 23/04/2013 10:59, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

Screwfix sell item 45409 which is 300mm long
However there are better items - http://www.screwfix.com/p/fastenmaster-timberlok-screws-6-3-x-200mm-pack-of-250/22973?_requestid )4400
I used 300mm variants These are hex head ... only thread for first 75mm ... and available in multiple gauges & lengths .... very strong items. Known by several names ... Timberlock Screws, Timberfix etc.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/timberfix-plus-exterior-timber-screws-6-3-x-250mm-pk50/20340
I bought mine in local Jewsons they had longer lengths in stock