Secure nuts - are there such things?

I have some solar panels secured to the roof of our boat by lengths of studding in tapped holes in the boat roof. Is there any 'clever' way I can make it difficult to remove the nuts holding the panels to the studs? E.g.is there any sort of 'security nut' akin to a security bolt that needs a special spanner to undo it?

Things akin to car road wheel studs which need special spanners won't work very well as I don't really have easy access to the 'end' of the nuts as it were.

Reply to
tinnews

You can get nuts that have the hexagon bit attached via a neck to the rest of the nut. You do 'em up and the hex bit shears off at the neck leaving a round conical bit behind holding the kit down.

Screwfix have 'em in A2 stainless and this is for a boat...

You mention wheel nut type things so do you envisage a routine requirement to remove them? Shear nuts would be a bit of PITA for that and are single use.

Bung "security nut" into google for other options that are releaseable.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You can get security nuts where the ends shear off when you tighten them.

can be removed - but only with considerable difficulty.

There are also removable security nuts which require special tools such as :-

are always somewhat less secure than those which shear off.

examples of both.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Well there is Drivel and dennis. And Farmer Giles

We THINK they are secure.

Visiting hours are wendesday afternoons...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Locktite?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

When I saw the sub line I thought of a cricket box.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes

If it is to stop theft then use studding with a left handed thread, that should thwart 99% of petty tea leaves.

Reply to
Bill

He he, it probably would as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On it's own it's not that good, even the ones that are supposed to be unremoveable. Now an "unremoveable" thread sealing compound and a LH thread...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Trouble is it would fool me most of the time as well! :-)

Reply to
tinnews

Se where do I buy stainless studding and nuts with LH thread?

Reply to
tinnews

I don't think it would be that effective anyway, a scrote with a socket spanner will chimp them off in no time, shearing the studs in the process.

Stainless shear nuts, as mentioned already, would be my choice.

Reply to
fred

These we use for palisade fencing, our fitter also has a tool that unscrews the cone ;-)

It is also used to remove locking wheel nuts.

AJH

Reply to
news

I was thinking along the same lines. The penny would drop eventually, but probably too late.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

You could also alternate left and right hand theaded studs.

Reply to
John Williamson