OT: strange 11 MPH speed limit

On those parts of motorways where a lot of work is going on behind lines of cones and traffic is restricted to 50 MPH I've noticed that the speed limit signs for works traffic in the coned-off area show 11 MPH.

Why 11 MPH rather than 10 MPH?

Reply to
Murmansk

cones and traffic is restricted to 50 MPH I've noticed that the speed limit signs for works traffic in the coned-off area show 11 MPH.

probably a Europen Regulation in kph..18kph..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

cones and traffic is restricted to 50 MPH I've noticed that the speed limit signs for works traffic in the coned-off area show 11 MPH.

Why do you think 10 is more sensible than 11 or 9?

Justin.

Reply to
Justin C

cones and traffic is restricted to 50 MPH I've noticed that the speed limit signs for works traffic in the coned-off area show 11 MPH.

Apparently, it was a suggestion from Highways Agency road workers, to get the attention of drivers, and it proved to be effective.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Murmansk put finger to keyboard:

Maybe Nigel Tufnel's chapeau shop never took off and he now works in traffic management.

Reply to
Scion

10mph can also be very annoying in some vehicles (in my case a car from some years ago) where the speedo scale and lower stop is at 10mph, so you can't tell how fast you are going until you are going faster than 10mph.

A local shopping centre has a 4mph limit signed. This is not only in the car park, but also the access road that runs outside the entire length of the car park. Most drivers seem to agree that 15-20mph is much more sensible along the access road.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Why not?

Maybe its cos the average intelligence of the people means they can only count up to 1?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Send in the Cones.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

cones and traffic is restricted to 50 MPH I've noticed that the speed limit signs for works traffic in the coned-off area show 11 MPH.

Maybe, as with Spinal Tap, 10 isn't good enough :)

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

cones and traffic is restricted to 50 MPH I've noticed that the speed limit signs for works traffic in the coned-off area show 11 MPH.

For the same reason my father used to use "Wette Paynt" signs ...

Reply to
Huge

You mean 'they' actually listened?

Reply to
GB

Did you read my mind? I was on the M62 today and I was going to ask exactly the same thing.

Reply to
ARW

because its odd.

Reply to
dennis

Who's been hitting you with the humour stick?

I like that:-)

Reply to
ARW

the same thing.

Reply to
Murmansk

Perhaps it's easier to paint the signs?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I've seen 18 mph on other sites. As has been said, the fact they're not a multiple of 10 is alleged to make them more noticeable.

Reply to
John Williamson

Usually the reason for such oddly-numbered signs is because setting the speed limit requires a traffic regulation order, and a speed limit sign without a TRO is not permitted (eg on private land). However, a 19mph sign isn't on the DfT's list of approved signs, therefore /it isn't a speed limit sign/. So you can use it wherever you like, no TRO required.

But I think the only approved signs are 20/30/40/50/60/national and 10mph isn't an official sign anyway. So I'm not sure if this is a reason for

11mph signs.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Surely a closed lane is already subject to a TRO?

Reply to
polygonum

The only restriction on speed limit signs in the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 is that the number shown must be a whole number.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar