When a gallon is not a gallon

I recently went to our favorite big box store. While wandering around the paint department, I noticed that most brands sold there are no longer full gallons. They were one pint less than a gallon. Yet, spread rate magically remains the same! Of course the price remains the same! I live in the southeast United State and am curious to know if this has happened in other areas. (Quarts are now 28 ounces).

Reply to
greg2468

Everything has to be shipped, and freight rates have gone through the roof due to the cost of oil, whose price is determined via a system best described as off-track betting. Manufacturers have a choice to make. They can raise their prices, or they can shrink their products. Customers vary as far as which they'd prefer to see happen.

Why the coverage rate remains the same is beyond me. There's a toll free number on the label. You should call that number and let us know what you find out.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Sherwin-Williams said that some of their paints are a fraction (can't remember how much) under a gallon to leave room for the tints. And I just checked the Pittsburgh paints we bought last week: 3 7/8 quarts, not the full gallon; I hadn't noticed before. We're in the Midwest.

How many brands of ice cream still have full half-gallon packs? Most are

56oz. instead of 64oz.

-=- Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Maybe its to leave room so they can add tint? Was it flat white or Base?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Here the 1-pound can of coffee has been 13 oz for some time.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

And a pound of coffee went from 16 ounces to 15, then to 14 and now to

13.5 ounces. A pound of butter I recently noticed was 15 ounces even though there was plenty of room in the tub for another ounce. I think it's called 'bend over a little more while I shove it in a little farther.'
Reply to
"Blattus Slaf

I think your message is called "I've never run a business, so I don't have a clue."

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Maybe that's what their using the other ounce for!!??

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Perhaps if you think about it for another hour or two, you'll figure it out.

Then again, maybe you won't.

Hint: coverage is quoted in square feet per *gallon*. Not square feet per

*can*.
Reply to
Doug Miller

clipped

Interesting......is that a Walmart pound? My butter says 16 oz.

Reply to
Norminn

I don't follow the other products mentioned, but candy bars get smaller and smaller and then they get bigger in one big jump and the price goes up.

Then they start getting smaller again.

AIUI most economists think that mild inflation is good for the economy because it encourages businesses and people do things now, but the cost of the war will imo cause greater than mild inflation for quite a few years.

Reply to
mm

Sorry, I must have had my weekly moment of stupidity.

Reply to
greg2468

Good point.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

re: A pound of coffee went from 16 ounces to 15, then to 14...

No, it didn't.

re: A pound of butter I recently noticed was 15 ounces

No, it wasn't.

A pound is 16 oz. Always was, probably always will be.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Lesson: Stay away from big box stores.

My pre-mixed Ben Moore paint is still a full gallon The tintable base though, is 126 ounces so they have room to add the tint.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

So be a literalist if that makes you hard. We know what the poster was talking about.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The perception will always be but the contents may vary.

Reply to
"Blattus Slaf

Umm.....NO. These are definitions carved in stone. A pound is 16 ounces. Period. End of discussion.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Take a walk down the aisles in a grocery store sometime. A pound of coffee is about 9 ounces. 5# of sugar is 4#. Prices are more or less the same.

It's a way to trick consumers into thinking the economy is hunky-dory and that inflation is in check. We're so used to buying containers that we forget to read what's actually in them. By downsizing containers and quantities, we are actually paying a higher percentage for goods than we were 5 or 10 years ago.

Next time I paint a wall, I'm going to paint only 80% of it and charge the full amount. Same effect. I'll just have to convince customer that the 20% unpainted looks great and is part of the decor.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

-snip--

No it isn't. a pound of gold is only 12 ounces.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht