When a gallon is not a gallon

ide quoted text -

re: Your claim was that it wasn't dishonest to shrink packages because people could read the labels

And I will continue to claim it isn't dishonest. What isn't true? Is the container labled with a weight that differs from the actual weight? Does it ring up at the register differently than the price on the sign? Does it not contain the product that it says it does? Where's the lie?

Deviation from the norm is not dishonest. Deviation from the norm is called change - sometimes for the better, sometimes not, and sometimes it really makes no difference at all.

It was once the norm that women and certain minorities could not vote. Then we "deviated" and things got better.

It was once the norm that teachers could take certain actions when a student disrupted the class enough that the other students couldn't learn. Then we "deviated" and things got wor - errrr - things changed. (I'll leave that discussion for another thread.)

re: Once people have learned something we don't examine the minutia each time and just go on with life.

Being observant is not the same things as examining the minutia. What I get for my hard earned money is very important to me, so while I'm pretty sure that the power level of my microwave isn't going to change each time I use it, I can't be as confident about the price and/or quality of my purchases. Therefore I stay observant when I shop. I compare the unit prices, I carefully examine any package that says "new and improved" - basically I'm careful that I don't get "fooled" by gimicky marketing strategies.

re: So when we buy the "gallon" ice cream we reach for the package that has always represented a gallon.

Pop quiz: What company registered the slogan "An educated consumer is our best customer"?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Syms used that line.

While making packages smaller is perfectly legal, the purpose behind it is still to deceive the customer rather than raise prices.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

re: Syms used that line.

Still does.

re: While making packages smaller is perfectly legal, the purpose behind it is still to deceive the customer...

I guess companies that do that don't believe that "An educated consumer is our best customer". Pop Quiz II: Name 2 ways to keep from being deceived. Hint: Look between the quotes for one answer.

re: ...rather than raise prices.

But they did raise prices - they raised the unit prices - which is the only way to compare prices between otherwise similiar products.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

But they did raise prices - they raised the unit prices - which is the only way to compare prices between otherwise similiar products.

************************

That should have been followed with "on the standard sized package"

If a half gallon container was good for 90 years or so, there is no logical reason that changing the size is better. Certain commodities in the store have been sold by the pint, quart, pound, dozen, for ages and fluffing up products in the same sized can at lower count is a marketing ploy

There are countless people that make bad assumptions. Such as Home Depot has the best prices on home repair products. Or that they have a large selection. Of that Best Buy is a great place to buy an appliance. At one time, there was some truth to that. I'd drive 30 miles to a big box store or discounter and save $100 over the local guy. The local guy got smart and figured out how to sell at the same price and offer better service.

Today, my wife want to go to Lumber Liquidators to look at flooring. Her perception was that they would have good flooring at cheap prices. They don't. Instead, I went to a local store less than a half mile from my house and got a deal that no big box store or internet sell could match. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

re: That should have been followed with "on the standard sized package"

What? You really gotta explain that one. I'm not even going to hazard a guess as to what you are trying to say.

re: If a half gallon container was good for 90 years or so, there is no logical reason that changing the size is better.

Where in the previous 138 messages in this thread has anybody said it was "better"?

re: (changing sizes) "is a marketing ploy"

I think we've all agreed to that...numerous times.

re: Home Depot, Best Buy, local retailers and Lumber Liquidators

Nice stories. Thanks for sharing. What have they got to do with companies trying to hide price increases by making the package smaller? My God...they haven't shortened the 8 foot 2 x 4, have they?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: Syms used that line.

Still does.

re: While making packages smaller is perfectly legal, the purpose behind it is still to deceive the customer...

I guess companies that do that don't believe that "An educated consumer is our best customer". Pop Quiz II: Name 2 ways to keep from being deceived. Hint: Look between the quotes for one answer.

re: ...rather than raise prices.

But they did raise prices - they raised the unit prices - which is the only way to compare prices between otherwise similiar products.

====================

Back to the original subject: I was at Home Depot yesterday because the local hardware store was out of the fluorescent bulbs I needed. I took a look at the Behr paints. They're 126 oz. Not a pint short. I wonder which brand the OP was talking about.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I also wonder if the 3 7/8 gallons referred to somewhere above hasn't got a metric equivalent, such as 4 liters....well, it least in the fourth decimal.

Reply to
cavedweller

Not always. WalMart rags on its suppliers to reduce package size, thereby reducing shipping and stocking costs. Walmart also complains about items that are double or triple wrapped when single wrapping would do.

For example, we've all seen boxes labeled "Box may not be full due to settling in shipment." Walmart, and others, say " 'Settle' the stuff before you package it and use a smaller box."

Reply to
HeyBub

The containers that are just a fraction short of a gallon tend to be tint bases or paint colors that can be used as a base. Tint bases come in different flavors depending on what the final color will be. The bases used for darker colors (ie that need more tint) tend to be well under a gallon, with the lighter tint bases being closer to a gallon.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

In , JoeSpareBedroom wrote in part:

126 ounces is short of a gallon, though not by a pint.

Don Klipstein

In , cavedweller wrote: (Previously quoted material snipped)

4 liters is more than a gallon, not less.

Don Klipstein

Ya think?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I know for sure! And I am not talking about imperial gallons or anything like that.

Makes me want to start paying attention to milk bottles to make sure I am not being cheated! ... The one in my fridge says: "1 gallon, 3.78 l". That is more than

126 US fluid ounces.

Don Klipstein

Of course. Silly me and my brain fart.

Reply to
cavedweller

Actually, funny you should mention it, they have. Many lumber mills and home centers are selling 8 foot 2x4's that are only 93" long, so that you won't have to cut them for your 8 foot wall. And although we call them 2x4's, they haven't been 2x4 for about 65 years. Now the ones in my house are 2" x 4", and it is a pain in the a** to do any remodeling. You either replace the whole wall, or you cut down 2x6's to match.

Reply to
Husky

Sadly though, some companies, like some people, never learn. Snapper, now owned by Simplicity, a division of Briggs and Stratton Corp., who also owns the bankrupt remains of Murray, will be selling Murray based products labeled with the Snapper name through Sears ( KMart ) this year. They are also offering this crap to their dealers, for about the same price that KMart will be selling it. (Remember, though the took on the Sears name, KMart bought Sears, not vice versa.)

Personally, I hope it costs Briggs a bundle.

And anyone who bought a Toro in the last year who didn't get one of the last "Wheel Horse Classic" tractors, got a relabeled MTD. Much like anyone who bought a Troybilt the last few years before they went bankrupt and were bought outright by MTD.

All these companies want is to line the pockets of the upper management and make enough profits to keep their stock price climbing so the shareholders won't catch on to how they and their customers are being ripped off.

Edw> I have NO sympathy for suppliers to Wal Mart. The want the volume and they

Reply to
Husky

I've certainly seen the 92 5/8" (I don't think they're even a full 93") studs, but I've never seen them labeled as 8' -- simply the length they are. The 96" ones are available too, but I don't see the store confusing them.

As for "2x4"s not being 2" x 4" ... AIUI, finished lumber was described by the pre-finished size, and everybody knew that -- and not just in USA. I don't see the justification for mislabeling unfinished lumber. I don't know what they do in other countries now.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

See, if you owned stock in the company, you could afford to buy a better product with the dividends.

Reply to
HeyBub