OT: strange 11 MPH speed limit

cones and traffic is restricted to 50 MPH I've noticed that the speed limit signs for works traffic in the coned-off area show 11 MPH.

I expect that will be the reason. Driving test appointments are never round numbers like 9:00 or 3:45, they are more likely to be something like 9:03 or 3:41. Apparently it makes people more punctual

Reply to
Graham.

cones and traffic is restricted to 50 MPH I've noticed that the speed limit signs for works traffic in the coned-off area show 11 MPH.

They have been there for 18 months or more, I posted about them in uk.legal in Nov 2011

Graham.

Graham. :

Digressing slightly, I don't understand why plane departure times are always multiples of five minutes. So you get three flights at 08:15 (with risk of confusion) where it would make a lot more sense to have them at 08:15, 08:16, and 08:17. Does anyone know why?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

cones and traffic is restricted to 50 MPH I've noticed that the speed limit signs for works traffic in the coned-off area show 11 MPH.

A bit like fuel prices. (Say) 131.9p/l sounds SO much cheaper than

132p/l. And Asda play further on that (at least around here) by having nnn.7p/l.

Marketing techniques :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On 24/04/2013 23:39, Mike Barnes wrote: ...

In practice, of course, you don't have three aircraft on the runway at the same time. According to what I heard from an Air Traffic Controller, many airlines, particularly the charter and cut-price airlines, publish the times they think will appeal to their customers, in the full knowledge that they will almost certainly be different from the times that ATC allocate to them.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Hospitals as well actually it annoys me as I'm a punctual person anyway. So if I have an appointment for 1137 and my name is not called in that 60 second period I think "why did I bother being on time if they can't be bothered to stick to their timings, how rude.".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You can have multiple simultaneous take offs at some airports. (Though almost certainly not the ones you were writing about.)

Reply to
polygonum

Anyone else experienced the delivery forecasting system that DPS use? They email me to say that a delivery will happen (as, for example, today) between 13:13 and 14:13. I've had many deliveries from them, and have yet to see a time ending in the digit 0 or 5!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Agreed, but that wasn't the sort of confusion I meant. I meant the confusion of passengers staring at the departure board, where it's not unknown to have two flights to the same destination at the same time. I know someone who almost missed her flight by going to the wrong gate.

Mind you that pales into insignificance compared with my SIL, who caused to whole family to miss a flight by taking them to the wrong London airport.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

You still won't have three aircraft on the runway at the same time, although you can have one aircraft on each of three runways.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

but you can have 3 aircraft queuing at the end of the runway ready to take off. been there.

Reply to
charles

The only time I've seen that is when the flight is shared between two airlines and they are the same aircraft leaving from the same gate.

If it does happen and in the case of different destinations at the same time it is for the reason I gave. Only one of them is going to be taking off on time. The airlines know that people will not take much notice of a few minutes' delay.

Not that unusual AIUI.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Have to say, not certain which companies it has been, but we have had a number of timed deliveries recently. They have been astonishingly accurate - like to the minute.

Reply to
polygonum

I think you'll find that the sign writers run out 0

Reply to
Gary

Strictly speaking, they are waiting for departure. Since two Jumbos crashed on a runway in fog in the Canaries, partly due to a confusion over terminology, take off is a term that is reserved for an aircraft that is actually on the runway.

They still won't have the same take-off slot allocated to them by ATC, whatever appears on the departure boards.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Is that o's as in:

hoe, hose or pantyhose?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The ETA from most sat nav systems is normally PDG... It's not a great step to link the the live vehicle tracking to email/SMS.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In many ways agree - but that we get advised several hours earlier, with all the possibilities for things going wrong somewhere, and still be that good, has been a surprise. Which leads to the obvious question, if some are so good, why are so many of the rest so bad?

Reply to
polygonum

Well, I was in Frankfurt once, and we had to wait for a fleet of Hercules to take off. As the first one rotated the third one went brakes off, and they maintained that separation.

I'm pretty sure I've had multiple civil aircraft on the runway at once too but only one taking off, the rest waiting, which I guess is nitpicking :)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Yes! But I must say they are the best delivery company around here. The website gives an forecast for a one hour slot and it happens in that slot. And if I am not at home there is a choice of redelivery or walking half-mile up the road to the depot. (compare that to ShittyLink who can't do better than 07:00 to 17:00 and have an depot south of the river unreachable without paying the congestion charge.)

Reply to
djc