Wooden Toy, Container Ship

OK, I have been requested to make a wooden container ship for the eldest rug rat, nothing fancy, he is only 5. Google has not been helpful in my search for plans/ideas/inspiration. Anyone made anything similar or know of a website that may help. Thanks

Reply to
johno

rat, nothing fancy, he is only 5. Google has not been helpful in my search for plans/ideas/inspiration. Anyone made anything similar or know of a website that may help.

A boat shaped plank, with blocks of wood and dowels to make the superstructure, and smaller blocks to make the containers, fitting grooves or holes routed in the plank? There are plenty of photos to give you ideas for colours and shapes.

Or something a bit more sophisticated?

little OTT, maybe. ;-)

Reply to
John Williamson

rug rat, nothing fancy, he is only 5. Google has not been helpful in my sea= rch for plans/ideas/inspiration. Anyone made anything similar or know of a = website that may help.

Brio "Chester The Container Ship"

- this one's got good photos of all the constituent parts. The ship hull looks like a rounded version of the traditional wood pencil case I made in school dead tree butchery lessons.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

rat, nothing fancy, he is only 5. Google has not been helpful in my search for plans/ideas/inspiration. Anyone made anything similar or know of a website that may help.

Something like this?

a plan

The Natural Philosopher

rug rat, nothing fancy, he is only 5. Google has not been helpful in my sea= rch for plans/ideas/inspiration. Anyone made anything similar or know of a = website that may help.

If you don't want too much expense use papier mache. Make out of cardbord taped together. Cover with strips of paper dipped in PVA glue. You can make it as strong as you like by putting on as many layers as you like. Let first layer dry before building it up to finished thickness.. Paint as suits you. If you use oil based paint, it will float, probably need ballast.

Large hulls need "bulkheads" to stiffen the structure up. Hull & deck need to be made separately for inside access & then joined up.

Result is cheap ,light and strong so you can make it big and impressive.

Containers- wood blocks. Or made the same way as the hull.

Reply to
harry

So this needs to be chunky and indestructable, ie you do not want a scale kit that can be radio controlled etc.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

a very simple container ship toy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Sixty quid? SIXTY BLOODY QUID !!??? I'm dusting off the woodworking tools this weekend ...

d;~}

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Do you want the design to include holds so that container blocks can be stored below deck, or do you just want to stack container blocks on top?

If the former, it probably means making the hull out of several pieces of wood - the simplest, perhaps, being just three pieces - a bottom piece with two side-pieces glued on top that have hold-shaped sections cut out of them. e.g.:

____________________ / | / bottom | \ | \____________________|

____________________ / ___ ___ side | /__| |_| |________|

__ _ ________ \ |___| |___| side | \____________________|

... shape the sides and bottom for the prow and stern, and the bottom to give the curve of the hull from underneath, then glue together. Add superstructure and whatever level of detail you want. It'll give something of a slab-sided boat (although that's perhaps not too inacurate for a container ship!) but a reasonable approximation, and is simple to do.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

We had a nice "Noah's ark" that comprised a keel section and then the boat was made of layers of ply that slotted onto the keel, each layer having animal shapes within them. Easy to make and adapt to a cargo ship I should think with a concealed hold under the top deck.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

All he needs is a wooden box with a pointed end. 5 sides and a bottom shouldn't be too hard. Bright paint, and some wooden blocks, and you are away.

Reply to
Andy Champ

rug rat, nothing fancy, he is only 5. Google has not been helpful in my sea= rch for plans/ideas/inspiration. Anyone made anything similar or know of a = website that may help.

Noah.

Weatherlawyer