Subject Author Posted Replies

Leaking oil valve
After SWMBO's rearranging the cupboard to the side of the Aga This... weeping kerosene and stinking the kitchen out. It appears to be from the gland at the top. If anyone is familiar with these things...
13
13

Extreme durable MDF - Medite Tricoya
Anyone tried this yet? It's MDF, but not as we know it. There's some chem= ical jiggery pokery done at the cellular level, such that the binder resin = now also waterproofs the individual fibres. The...
6
6

Sticking the bog to the floor
Our new potty is currently freestanding and needs fixing down. I hate those crappy plastic fixings they come with so was wondering, would it be sufficient to lift it a little, fudge some silicone...
19
19

tiling onto plasterboard
I'm quite happy to plaster straight onto plasterboard. However the missus is giving me earache and in order to appease her I did a bit of googling and can't get a straight answer. It's around the...
8
8

tradesman's insurance
So what's reasonable? What do you guys pay? For public liability to £5m, a bit of personal accident cover, tools and equipment to £10k? I have a real problem with this at the moment. Any comparisons...
12
12

Fancy building a workshop?
Well it has been long summer, but the shop is finally complete. Here's a video showing the entire process from start to finish. For the complete write-up, head to our site:...
11
11

Drying screeded floor
How long to leave a screeded floor before tiling? 100 mm screed with underfloor wet central heating embedded in it. As I see it there are two issues: a/ the screed 'curing' ie hydrating the cement,...
5
5

Anyone hooked up a new style TV to a LAN?
En el artículo , Dave Liquorice escribió: Mate has a 50" Samsung Smart TV. Looks fantastic, fantastic picture, but the built-in software is shite. For some reason, it refuses to find certain YouTube...
30
30

How long can I run my van without an alternator?
Without electric power for steering in many smaller vehicles. And the steering motor can take quite a deal of power - no idea of the wattage/amperage.
89
89

Ping TNP re gridwatch
There was an insert in todays Le Temps talking about 'renewables', and one article appeared to claim that we have some 7.4GW of installed wind now. Written by one Tim Probert (who he? - Ed) I quote:...
7
7

Carpet & underlay
Hi guys, I have a question about lifting and refitting carpet. We changed our living room carpet a couple of years ago to a nice thick one but made the mistake of not changing the underlay to a higher...
9
9

Mobile Phone _ Atomatic Network (Carrier) or not
Hi All, I bought an Iphone 4 (on O2) a while back and am having problems with coverage, often have no coverage showing, in settings it was set to Automatic for the network, Is it a good idea to change...
19
19

Like-for-Like Drive Replacement - the Rules
Hi all In discussion with ARW yesterday, he mentioned a point regarding drive replacement/resurfacing. From the dim and distant past, I think this sounded familiar. If you intend to lay a new...
12
12

Where the Germans fear to tread
Well the beeb* WOULD emphasise that wouldn't they? *That well known Guardian Alter Ego.
13
13

Programmable Wireless Room thermostats - low(er) cost
I've always used Honeywell CM67 wireless programmable room thermostats in the past, but notice that there are some far cheaper products on the market such as Salus, Danfoss, Timeguard. I'm in the...
20
20