Drying screeded floor

How long to leave a screeded floor before tiling?

100 mm screed with underfloor wet central heating embedded in it. As I see it there are two issues: a/ the screed 'curing' ie hydrating the cement, and b/ drying out any excess moisture. Under the screed is 100mm celotex and a membrane, so moisture will be trapped between impermeable tiles and impermeable membrane. I do have a large industrial de-humidifier to help.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Week per inch thick I *think* - if the air is warm - at least for a wet lay.

Partly depends how wet/dry the screed was. Might be somewhat less for a proper dry laid screed.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Once it is cured, you can accelerate the process by closing the room up and running a dehumidifier. If you have a cheapo damp meter you can keep a check on progress. (The sort with two spikes you stick in). Even so,likely to take a couple of weeks. Room must be airtight and avoid opening door sexcept to remove water tray from dehumidifier.

This is usually left until all "wet trade" work is done so that the whole room can be dried out at once.

Reply to
harry

Yes, Plasterers are plastering as I type (Wednesday), and a second de-humidifier has been hired for Friday when the 5 cu M of screed go down. (50 sq M area) - the screed will have fibres in it to hopefully prevent too much drying out cracking.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Frankly don't wait period. The tiling process puts massive amounts of wet into the screed.

Try to NOT use the UFH at high temps until the thing has dried out a bit.

And wait before you grout.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Some boilers/control systems (e.g. Vaillant) have screed drying programs, that warm that zone slowly and progressively following a program of warmer and cooler heating sessions over a month to accelerate the process.

Reply to
John Rumm