Stain not drying on refinished hardwood floor

We are refinishing the oak floor in a room about 8 x 10 ft and are finding that the second coat of oil-based stain is not drying. After about a week there are patches that are still liquid (sticky and thick, but liquid). Obviously I put it on too heavy, but the question is how best to handle it now.

If the answer is to wait another week or two, that's definitely an option. My inclination is to wipe it with a dry cloth, and my wife's is to use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits. The question is which is less likely to create patches and streaks. I doubt the Urethane should go on in this condition - or maybe it can?

The stain is Minwax (golden pecan, for what that's worth), and we'll be using Minwax-branded Urethane. After the first coat we decided that we'd like to try for a richer, more uniform colour, so we did the second coat, and we are very happy with the results, colour-wise. The first had been drying for a week before we did the second; the floor had been sanded several *months* before that. The conditions in the meantime were very dry, but it has gotten damper since the stain went on, unfortunately. The room has been at 15-20C (say 60's F) throughout.

Any comments will be welcome.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

You realy should call minwax since you are using their products. Running your dehumidifier will help if Minwax says it will cure.

Reply to
m Ransley

You are waiting for oil to dry. Takes forever. You can and should have wiped it a long time ago. Try a dry rag and if that smears it, use mineral spirits to take up the excess. That may take off a bit too much so be careful.

Do not urethane until it is completely dry.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski