Programmable Wireless Room thermostats - low(er) cost

I've always used Honeywell CM67 wireless programmable room thermostats in the past, but notice that there are some far cheaper products on the market such as Salus, Danfoss, Timeguard.

I'm in the market for 1 or 2 thermostats so any reason why I shouldnt switch to one of these cheaper products or should I stay with Honeywell ?

Reply to
robert

Buying on price alone, seems a bit odd. Surely selecting something that does what you want in a way that you like is the most important thing, then finding that product ata good price.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Stay with Honeywell. Frequencies are different, and are generally paired at the factory, so no problem with next doors heating turning on your heating which happened with a Salus I had a look at.

Reply to
A.Lee

But if they all switch the heating on and off at set times, then that only leaves price to choose between them.

I bought Salus programmable thermostats, from Toolstation IIRC, both a wired and a wireless one. I have not used Honeywell, so I cannot compare them. The Salus ones have worked without issue, so I suppose you could consider that a recommendation.

I only have one wireless one, so responding to the post about interference, I can't comment on whether this would be a problem. Is it that neither of my neighbours have them or is it that they do and they do not cause interference?!

I will contradict my opening paragraph and say that there is one refinement I would like to see and that is that you have to programme every day individually, so setting five programmes a day involved 35 settings.

Before I bought the programmable stats, I had a Horstmann programmer (time switch, not thermostat, from Screwfix) and that allowed you to set the programmes for one day and copy them to other days, so you set five programmes rather than thirty-five. So if the Honeywell has that functionality it may be worth paying more for, but how much more is up to you.

As the clocks have just gone back, didn't Honeywell have a magic box you could plug in that changed the time for you when the clocks changed? Perhaps that's another reason to choose Honeywell?

HTH

Reply to
Fred

I'm on my second one of these -

and reasonably effective. But the controls are fiddly and it loses wireless every so often, causing the heating to stay on/off. Wouldn't unreservadly recommend.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

+1

Richard.

Richard Russell

That's poor design and where the Honeywell CMZone series win - the Honeywell's send a regular state signal over radio - not just at a state- change junction.

Sadly the sort of piss poor design in sending a single state change message with no mechanism for acknowledgement is likely in the cheaper models and not guaranteed to be dealt with even in expensive systems.

Honeywell do, somewhere, mention their system of regular transmissions

*somewhere* in their rather disorganised websites - and rightly trumpet it as a feature (though personally I would have all the other companies' "engineers" shot for being shoddy).
Reply to
Tim Watts

At the very basic level that is all they do but the user interface is probably more important. How easy is it to nudge the temperature up/down a bit, does that become a permenant overide or does it automagically reset to the programmed temperature profile at the next event time?

Holiday, Party or basic thermostat mode easy to get at. Extend current temp by 1 2 or 3 hrs? It's really features and user interface that are important.

Not had an issue with my Danfoss TP75 or TP7000 I have both running here and either will work with either receiver as well, even though the TP75 is not far short of 10 years old and the TP7000 last years.

The Danfoss has that as well.

Yes, still does have an optional MSF receiver. On the Danfoss TP75 or TP7000 when the time is displayed you just press and hold the + button in spring and - button in autumn. It's so damn easy I forget how you do it and have to look it up!

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have Honeyweel and foudn that several of the rubber buttons stopped working proerly after about 1 year.

One feature I wish I had was an "I'm going to bed now" button that would turn all the heating off but leave it to come on again as usual the next morning.

We used to do this by turning the target temperture down low but since the buttons started to fail we had to stop doing that.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Or at least compare the functionality with anything else you might consider.

I find Honeywell's Party Mode and Holiday Mode quite useful, and also the fact that they automatically adjust for British Summer Time.

Reply to
Roger Mills

ISTR that, in the event of losing connectivity completely, Honeywell adopts a sort of "limp home" duty cycle of something like 20% on, 80% off in order to provide at least some heating.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I vaguely remember seeing that too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

proerly after about 1 year.

Get in touch with Honeywell. They sent me a new CM927 when ours failed after three years service and did so without issue.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

There's more to it than that. There are plenty of distinguishing features such as optimium start (self-adapting startup times), temporary temperature periods, intuitive programming, TPI control etc.

Many stats allow either 5/2 programming or copying of individual days to save all that.

Separate box? They just have a built-in calendar and thus know when the clock needs to go forwards/back.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Thanks for the comments so far especially about Salus and interference.

I agree that the Honeywell features are generally well thought out, but at 3 x the cost of Salus I was wondering......

Losing connection and how this is handled is an important feature and Honeywell seem to have it sorted as far as is possible.

I only need basic 7 day programs and easy adjusting of temperature. I already have 2 Honeywell CM67s but could do with extra controls to allow individual rooms to call for heat/ The idea of 1 thermostat for the whole house just doesnt work in a 1800

3 storey rubble walled house whose rooms heat losses are affected significantly by sunlight and wind and where some rooms are only used occasionally.

Of course what I would really like is a system which allows individual TRV's to call for heat as required but I cant justify the cost of such systems.

Reply to
robert

I'm not so sure. If, as has been reported, it drops back to a 20/80 duty cycle you may not notice for quite a while in rooms you don't visit often or during the summer have the heating coming on when it's not needed at all.

Fail to off is going to be noticed quicker in occupied rooms and, for a multizone installation, freezing of a failed to off zone isn't likely due to heat from the other zones.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's a configurable setting (20/80 or off) so you can set it to suit your circumstances.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I presume the CM907 is now the one to go for. Is there another Honeywell model with better facilities?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Ganrk!

Just browsing the Honeywell site and being given multiple options.

I am looking for a wireless controller for a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 38 CDI Classic

"If you want good control but don't want the mess caused by running cables, wireless versions (CM921 and CM927) make it easier to upgrade your system with minimum disruption. Not only that, but the same wireless receiver is used for many products - so you can combine them in any number of ways. For peak efficiency modulating controls (wired CM937 and wireless CM957) use OpenTherm to send data directly to the boiler."

So now I don't know which one I want - off to Google OpenTherm.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

The Horstmann AS1 or AS2 does almost but not quite that. You press a big round button to toggle between your preset warm and cool temperatures. It's a temporary override - the program will continue as normal at the next state change.

See:

metric_trade