Programmable thermostats

I am looking at buying a single channel programmable thermostat to use with a combi oil boiler, and have found the following brands:

Honeywell Danfoss Drayton Prowarm Digital Heatmiser Corgi Horstman Salus-tech Siemens

Can anyone suggest any other brands?

I am looking for a thermostat that:

a) Does not normally use a battery (mains powered except for power cuts).

b) Uses a remote sensor for measuring room temperature. c) Ideally can connect to the Internet via Wifi

The only unit that I have found that meets these criteria is the Heatmiser Smartstat. My only complaint with that is the holiday frost temperature setting which can not go below 7C, unlike others which can go down to 5C or are customisable.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Nothing but a backup battery retains the programming and clock.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@srv1.howhill.co.uk:

If for a domestic application, why would you want the property to go below

7degrees?
Reply to
DerbyBorn

The internal battery only keeps the clock running. The bolier will need mains to fire up, so keeping the pump running is irrelevant

Reply to
charles

Lower cost! Though I don't know what the saving would be. The property would be unoccupied for several months rather than just the odd fortnight. There are no water tanks in the roof to worry about.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Some insurance companies mandate a minimum temperature for unoccupied houses. Mine does.

Reply to
S Viemeister

And with some insurers this can be significantly higher than 7. I saw one recently that wanted 15C if the house was going to be unoccupied for

30 days.
Reply to
CB

CB wrote in news:ms3mtr$fe2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I usually set mine at 12 when I have a winter holiday. I don't think it comes on much.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

When my MIL died & her house was empty, we had to get "unoccupied property" cover, which was *significantly* more expensive than normal buildings cover (and the fuckbags at Churchill(*) cancelled her buildings cover *on* *the* *spot*, the minute I told them. Not even 24 hours to find an alternative. Not even 24 minutes to find an alternative.) The new cover had 2 conditions - the house had to be inspected at least every 14 days, and we had to leave the heating on. There was a long pause when I pointed out it didn't have any heating. They just said they wanted the water turned off and the loft hatch left open, instead.

(* Needless to say, it'll be a cold day in Hell before I use them for anything, and I recommend everyone else likewise.)

Reply to
Huge

Yes. 12C would be much more reasonable.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Indeed as I have just found out whilst trying to arrange insurance!

I installed a frost stat in the roof of our main house. This has occasionally fired during the night even when the house is lived in with the central heating on.

Reply to
Michael Chare

After my father dies, I installed a froststat on the heating system. Unfortunately the boiler couldn't cope with an outdoor temp of -20°. The contents of the water tank froze solid.

Reply to
charles