Programmable thermostats

Firstly I just want to say how interesting this group is, I am learning loads, most of which I hope I will never need to use ;o) thanks to all the pro's who are willing to take the time to help novices like me.

Now ......where were we........................... I would like to have a programmable thermostat installed instead of my bog standard room stat. Firstly, as my boiler has a timer attached to it I presume I will have to get this disconnected?

Does anyone have any recommendations? I would like one that I can put in different programmes for each day and probably a couple of temperature changes a day (am I asking too much?)

Also any of you lovely plumbers live anywhere near Eastbourne (or know of a good CH person around here?) I have a few things I need doing!

Angela

to reply remove the x

Reply to
Angela

Yes.

Honeywell CM67 should save you a lot of money in running costs as it optimises the start time (delays the start to cut fuel costs) and is easy to use.

Reply to
IMM

If it is capable of setting the central heating to 24 hours a day, there is no need to disconnect it. If you still require a timing facility for any hot water system, then you'll need to keep a programmer in the loop anyway. If the programmer can't set heating and water separately, you can keep the old programmer, but connect the central heating on output to live, rather than the "on" output from the programmer.

I like the Sunvic one I bought recently. Looks much nicer than some of the others on the market as it doesn't stick out of the wall by twelve inches. My particular model does have a few drawbacks, though. 1 hour granuality of timing (but unlimited changes) and only two adjustable temperature set points can be used. Neither bother me personally.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I personally keep the programmer to do heating from 6am to 11pm, and then use the thermostat to control it between those times. I don't mind the temp dropping during the night - it picks up again quickly in the morning.

I got a Sunvic one from B&Q for £29.99. Has 3 temperature points, 6 temp changes per day, 7 day settings and 10 minute time granularity. Also has a facility to automatically delay the start time if its close to the required temperature. Very pleased with it. I can't remember the model number - though it starts with TLX and has a 6 in it... ;)

David Hearn

Yes, mine was 30 quid from B&Q too. Both have the temperature responsive set back option. However, I decided the better appearance of mine outweighed the better functionality of yours. This will depend on your individual circumstances. I think both look like excellent devices.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Wonderful things. Go for a sophisticated one with an easy programming interface and a graphical display of it switching between "day" and "night" temperatures. Mine was a Landis and Gyr - very easy to set.

No, you should be able to simply leave it set to "always on". It's also useful to retain timing for hot water, if you turn the heating off over the summer.

Andy Dingley

Just jumper out the CH connections so its always on. Or my lazy way, set it to always on. You'll need the rest of it to still control the hot water of course.

Thats the one I went for. Brilliant, and in wireless version, although not cheap, can save a lot of hassle getting wiring through to hardwired model.

Reply to
BillR

Best remove it and install a single stage clock. These are cheap and then no confusion.

The Land & Steafa equiv is just as good, if not better. Landis equipment always has user friendly interfaces.

Reply to
IMM

Best, as in more expensive and unnecessary? If it is single channel anyway, there is no confusion if it then runs only the hot water. If it is twin channel, then it can be left entirely as it is anyway as a master switch.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Not unnecessary. These are cheap and make matters simple.

Reply to
IMM

course.

It's actually a condenser boiler so no timer needed for the hot water - always on sounds by far the best bet!

Angela

Reply to
Angela

although not

Can I just put the new thermostat where the old one is or does it need additional wiring?

Sorry if that as dumb question ;o)

Angela

Reply to
Angela

I think are confusing condensing and combi. It may be both.

Reply to
IMM

It just replaces the old thermostat and run on batteries. Just remove the old timer, as then it will be surplus and probably look naff.

Reply to
IMM

More nonsense from our resident 'expert'.

The 'timer' will also permit the selection of hot water only etc.

I have a normal fairly basic timer that gives the usual once, twice and continuous which I use in conjuction with programable thermostat. However, if going out for the day etc it's much easier to switch the timer to twice than to mess with the thermostat. The programable stat is great when the house is occupied all day, but there's no point in running the heating when it's empty.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

It sounds like it!

(You meant combi, by the way, not condensing).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It is also good for turning off the system totally. I have two programmable thermostats, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. (There may be a couple more zones in the future, too). I can turn the entire CH side off by jiggling the programmer. I could also prevent wayward teenagers setting their rooms to 30C in the middle of the night too, by using the timer as a master switch, which will override the programmable thermostat.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Just testing you! *blush*

Reply to
Angela

YES, In fact ot needs less wires. It will not need the neutral connection because as IMM said, they run on battery(s). Its a simple job, however, Sods law says that it will be smaller/different shape to your old one so you'll have to re-decorate the wall afterwards :-) Then that wall won't match the rest so you'll redo the whole room getting paint on the carpet....

Reply to
BillR

One of the most used facilities on my CM67 is the party button - not for its intended use, but when you're going out for a bit you can press it and (say) select 3 hours at 15C. At the end of this period it reverts to the normal program and you come home to a warm house.

Reply to
Tony Bryer