Subject Author Posted Replies

breaking up concrete/reusing for paving slabs
Hi, I have a piece of ugly-looking old concrete in my front garden that I want to replace with paving slabs this Spring. The concrete is split in three places, and is about 6ft by 3ft wide, but it...
6
6

CO alarm going off
I fitted a battery powered Kidde CO alarm last September. It's in the lounge which has a gas fire. A couple of times it's sounded - yet the display says "0" and - more importantly - the fire has been...
6
6

Battery matters
Ah, ok. Thanks. Back to the drawing board.
94
94

Comet Again
Aye, haven't had an easy naked eye comet for a good few years. I can't remember which one of those I saw somewhere darkish a mile or two of the M4 a good few miles to the east of Swindon. Very...
19
19

Electric car.
Also, IIRC, made by Yuasa.
172
172

OT: quote of the day
Some inarticulate band on radio 2 "No, it isn't change for the sake of it. WE JUST WANTED TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT".
7
7

OT: Upon My Sole
After recent discussions about odd-shoes: "Exeter shop thief steals rack of right-footed shoes A rack of right-footed shoes has been stolen from outside a shop in Exeter. The women's shoes and...
8
8

Rising Damp - A Myth?
Well how high is an oak tree? The water gets all the way up that. Or a sequoia.
78
78

Good ideas from overseas (OT bit of fun)
I was not advocating the idea. I started by asking if anyone had an alternative (better) idea for a small lavatory. The Japanese idea has problems, of course! Having to lean over the pan to get to...
138
138

Polystyrene v car body filler
I'm rather struggling with this so another question. Caravan, alloy outer skin which is damaged and I need to repair it with car body filler. The problem is that car body filler is reputed to attack...
16
16

Redundant soil Outlet to be covered
Hi=20 In my 1909 house , the downstairs toilet closet was "semi outside" that is= , it was within the rear wall of the house but opened onto a short covered= walkway and then to the outside rear of...
13
13

Boiler flue - NOT boxed in - allowed?
Before I have a gas safety inspection and potentially have it fail, does anyone know.. (For a house we want to let) The boiler flue (combi, not condensing I don't think) goes from the boiler in the...
9
9

OT: Stand-alone printer
I'm involved with the local scout group (I'm a parent of a scout) and we have a need for a stand-alone printer that will work without a computer being connected. The plan is for scout leaders (and...
18
18

Suitable lighting transformer sought for child's light
Hi all Have been passed on something to 'renovate' - a childs lamp with rotating inner screen, driven by the heat of the small lamp fitted. A bit like: seems to have been an inline 12V transformer...
7
7

Shock Horror: wind turbines produce some useful power!
4.74GW as of 0840 this morning. Do I gather it's a bit windy?
9
9