Good ideas from overseas (OT bit of fun)

Just back from a holiday and whilst there I refelcted on a few differences seen there and other places (not really DIY) and wondered if others had thought of similar things. Examples:
Bulgaria - Traffic Lights with an illuminated count-down in red or green to the next change.
Dublin - Traffic lights with ped crossing countdowns - that are made of stainless steel and don't look as though they were made in the 1950's (like ours)
Lanzarote - In our villa - door frame with integral rubber seal to prevent banging - well engineered door and frame with stainless steel hinges.
any others? Comments?
On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 15:27:09 GMT, DerbyBorn

Probably not a good idea. Some people will take it as if it's launching a spaceship and take off at "0" without any observation of, say, residual traffic coming the other way.
--
Frank Erskine

On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 15:48:22 +0000, Frank Erskine

AFAIK the red + amber we have that precedes the green, is a very British thing, not generally seen elsewhere.
On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 15:48:22 +0000, Frank Erskine

They do that here (when light goes green).
--
(\__/) M.
On 05/02/2013 15:27, DerbyBorn wrote:

Japan: Plumbed in drip trays under (unreliable) washing machines
Japan: Combined wash basin and cistern on toilet
Japan: Entire lower half bathroom as a watertight plastic moulding
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
On 05/02/2013 16:14, Brian Gaff wrote:

Sort of - almost everything about room size is still measured in tatami mats. That is the floor space needed to sleep one samurai warrior.
It is still a very clever way to do a wet room quickly and without any risks of leakage to the floor below.

I didn't include the holes in the ground, weird heated toilet seats or the wash and blow dry ones which I do not consider to be improvements.
Japan, France, Germany, Belgium etc : High speed rail links (and maybe Britain in 2040 or so)
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Will you be able to afford a ticket?

Apart from the holes in the ground, what do you have against any of the others? Smearing faeces around with bits of dry paper seems very weird to me.
Tim
In message <1347773098381777601.326153timdownie2003-nospampleaseyahoo.co.uk@reader80
writes

That should be +2 rather than +1 I think
--
geoff

Martin Brown wrote ...

I really want to straddle the khazi after a dump...

If they didn't keep on gobbing on the floor...
Martin Brown wrote:

Whereas in this country we learn *not* to pour bathwater on the floor :)
JGH
On 05/02/2013 15:56, Martin Brown wrote:

I thought that was a great idea in Japan. We have a house built in the late 50's. The bog is a small room at the top of the stairs, no washhand basin, and too narrow to fit one.
When I reorganised the bathroom recently, I put a WC in there too, and looked for a way to get a wash basin in the small loo. Remembering the system seen in japan when I was there years ago, I thought it mught be possible. No success, however!
Does anyone have a solution for this problem, other that washing in the bathroom or kitchen?
Al.

Aston Matthews (Plumbers merchant, Essex Road, London) used to have a a urinal in the window with a wash-hand basin on the top, the waste from which ran into the urinal to flush it.
I mentioned it here many years back when I saw it, and someone replied "why would you need the urinal if you have a wash basin?"...
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 07/02/2013 22:00, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I appreciate the sentiment, but the solids are tricky to fit down the plug'ole.
As you mention the concept is water conserving too, as the water is used to flush the pan after rinsing the hands.
Al
On 07/02/2013 22:10, Alan (BigAl) wrote:

But if not used very regularly, you end up with dirty soapy water stored in a cistern. Doesn't really sound very hygienic.
--
Rod

On 07/02/2013 22:38, polygonum wrote:

I was not advocating the idea. I started by asking if anyone had an alternative (better) idea for a small lavatory. The Japanese idea has problems, of course! Having to lean over the pan to get to basin is not too bad for me, but for the little kids it would be difficult.
This is what it looks like.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/5186345116_02d7d050b1.jpg
Al.

I refer the gentleman to the Shitower.

If you suitably adjust your diet the "solids" needn't be entirely solid. :-)
--
Frank

No need to use water - just dry your hands on the towel.
--
*Do paediatricians play miniature golf on Wednesdays?