Good ideas from overseas (OT bit of fun)

There is/was a priority system in use on Guernsey for roads having equal status. I have forgotten exactly how it worked but something like preference in order of arrival.

I suppose this would not work well where traffic is queuing at busy times.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Road planning in most councils is done by the sandals and bike brigade who have never driven cars.

So much money is wasted in the name of safety but often achieves the reverse. Who in their right minds would make two areas of the town car, pedestrian and bike sharing - in theory everyone has equal priority. The first serious accident was between a pedestrian and a push bike cyclist.

Reply to
alan

at one significant junction in Jersey the instruction is "Merge in Turn".

Reply to
charles

"Merge in Turn"

Worked very well when I last drove there 14 years ago (and it was busy, normal tourists, plus a load extra over for the full eclipse in Alderny).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We've got one like that in Cambridge.

Its a sort of square roundabout. It does say give way from the right but everyone still stops to have a look see..

tony sayer

Indeed, and it's not unique to Guernsey. Ought to be used a lot more IMO but sometimes you find traffic doing this anyway.

There's a busy slip road joining the M77 in Glasgow that has no merging in turn instructions but at rush hour you find everyone merging neatly in turn with the traffic on the motorway.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I'd hope not. Would be downright dangerous. Turning left, on the other hand...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a pet plan for motorway access: they should have a solid *no crossing* white line for some distance along the inside lane. If it works for F1 it ought to be OK for the M25!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You can blame idiot drivers for that. At one time the pedestrian green came on for a few seconds for the pedestrians to start crossing and then went red. When it went red the amber lights flashed and drivers were supposed to wait until the pedestrians had crossed and then go. The idiots just went as soon as the amber flashed even if pedestrians were still crossing. As a result they now install lights without flashing ambers and you have to wait, except for the idiots that just run the red.

Reply to
dennis

When I lived in Vancouver many years ago, four-way give ways worked well because the rule was, the first person to the intersection went first, the next person second, and so on. It didn't matter from which direction you were coming, people took it in turns and went when their turn came. You know those Canadians, polite to a fault. Oh, for the good old days. .

Reply to
someone

I refer the gentleman to the Shitower.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ours works pretty well like that, but somehow we often seem to end up with more than one car arriving at the same time (odd really as they are pretty quiet roads) and once, four arrived together!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

In the wee small hours I often ignore the reds - rather, will stop, observe, proceed with caution smartly across the junction. Fuck it, Dennis.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

They can still catch you out if there's a camera.

Reply to
harry

Whats up? Are you confused or do you think all good drivers are named Dennis?

Reply to
dennis

Don't try it anywhere they have cameras. In London, the cameras are on every yellow box junction with bored operators watching them 24/7 in an office. Just don't ask how I know, okay?

Reply to
John Williamson

Shame we don't have cameras covering every food factory, warehouse, distributor, retailer, slaughterhouse, ...

Reply to
polygonum

Jethro_uk :

Ease traffic? That's not what it's about. As if proof were needed, there are a couple of junctions here with the exact opposite of what you describe: the red-light-although-there's-no-possibility-of-conflict- with-other-traffic system. Clearly, stopping the traffic for no good reason is the aim of the game.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

SteveW :

The American system - first to stop is first to go - would seem best, but it won't work here unless they explain it.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Another line that everyone will ignore.

Reply to