Subject Author Posted Replies

Twin/multi-wall polycarbonate thickness & roof span
It's a while[1] since I've played with twinwall and I want to make an awning-style roof over the patio, to keep the rain off. It'll be about 3m deep (from the house wall to the outer edge) and about...
4
4

Best plastic to steel glue please?
Some suggestions for some really strong adhesive please. The line-spool on my petrol strimmer, has lost the metal grommets/eyelets on the strimmer's spool. The grommets reinforce the 2 holes where the...
23
23

How should I approach replacing this rotten door frame and sill?
My back door frame and part of the step/sill is rotten and is in need of fixing, but I'm no chippy and I've no idea how to approach this problem. The door itself is steel skin over a wooden frame (I...
15
15

corrosion
Hi On motor bikes and cars the exposed parts tend to corrode. Bikes are particularly bad as they are more exposed. What is the best way to prevent this being a problem. Is spreading a film of LM...
3
3

snapped key in ignition barrel
The key to the neighbour's digger is snapped in the ignition barrel, it can still be started with the stub of the key. Unfortunately the fuel cap is l ocked. Would it be possible to fish the front end...
12
12

Benefits of K glass?
We are considering replacing our 20 year old upvc windows, they currently have 12mm gap in the glazed units. We are unsure whether to just replace the steamy units (not all are gone) or go the whole...
29
29

thinking of fitting a multifuel stove
I am thinking of fitting a multi-fuel stove, probably around 8kW. At the moment a standard open fire place exists. It has an "ash box" beneat h the grate with vents in it that are supplied with air...
31
31

Rivnuts
I need to make some modifications to my Westfield kit car, which involve installing some more rivnuts. Can anyone recommend a kit of rivnuts, assorted bolts & a gun? Or a good place to buy them as...
27
27

Digging fence post holes - auger or "post hole digger"?
Previously I've just used a spade to dig-out holes for concrete spurs but I'm tempted by either an auger or a "post hole digger" ... which works best? These are available from several places; the SF...
31
31

Plumbing repair toilet query
I have an Ideal Standard concept close coupled BTW WC and cistern. I need to replace the bottom entry fill valve - permanent leak. I cannot find a copy of the installation instructions to see how the...
6
6

Q about house insurance and door locks etc
I'm currently researching house contents insurance, as it's approaching renewal time. A couple of questions are proving problematic, and I'd be grateful for advice. Q: Are all exit doors fitted with a...
58
58

Joining PVC pipe
For reasons that may not be the best, I want to join some 36mm OD PVC drainage pipe to some 38.5mm ID pipe. I'm wondering how I should do this. Various adhesives come to mind, but maybe they do not...
21
21

The Scout Hut - emergency light update
It turns out that the lead flashing has not yet been replaced. I know this as it is pissing it down and I have just called in to replace the emergency light. Water was dripping through the ceiling. A...
4
4

OT - Laser Printers, Labels, and GSM
OT only in so far as this is a work related question. Here at work we have recently bought some phenomenally expensive Desktop A3 Mono Lasers (HP 5200). These steadfastly refuse to feed our normal...
4
4

OT-ish B&Q automated checkout
I daren't go into B&Q if I am feeling at all out of sorts. I know I will end up in trouble. They don't person the row of tills any more, just have one attendant on the four station automated checkout....
192
192