Subject Author Posted Replies

Best cordless phone set?
The base phone in my Panasonic KX-TG1313JT set of 3 cordless phones was damaged by lightning in a recent thunderstorm (in Italy). I'm looking for a new set of cordless phones with the following...
7
7

Stranded T&E
JOOI when did stranded 2.5mm T&E change to solid core & why?
9
9

Under cabinet LEDs fed by low voltage
I'm looking at a possible design for kitchen under-cabinet lights where the wiring (daisy chaining from cabinet to cabinet) is low voltage. In other words, have one transformer at the 'supply end'...
10
10

Oven temps
Wifey is beginning to think that our gas oven isn't working as it should, ie, things are taking too long to cook. She's had some potatoes in there (she's making 'Slimming World chips'), on gas mark 9,...
51
51

Presence detection ...
Have just written a script to see if my mobile phone is present within the house. My router is configured to only issue it the same IP address. So a regular ping ... if it fails I will assume I am...
8
8

LED in Dimmer
What would happen if I mixed up some LED GU10s and accidentally used a non- dimmable lamp in a fitting with a dimmer?
7
7

OT: Dark lightning.
It is dated April, but not April 1st..:-) one in a thousand strikes on aircraft won't be visible, but will give you a lifetime dose of radiation in microsecond. Harry, are you a man who does a lot of...
7
7

OT: Heat Pump Pricing
A colleague decided to investigate installing a heat pump for his house. He concluded that the Subsidies available allow installers to charge vast sums for installation, hiding the charges in the...
7
7

OT What has my bloody dog been eating?
Idiot dog, labrador, eats anything he comes across including all the animal poop from the farm I live near. Twice now in the last few days he's vomited up what looks like some sort of seed pod. About...
19
19

Well done Openreach
Intermittent broadband fault, when Plusnet sent the *second* POTS engineer I was wondering how long this would drag on for. But all credit to the man, although there was no phone or broadband fault...
28
28

In car handset to switch garage drive lights on and off
A while ago I found a website offering radio control handsets which operate a receiver in the garage to turn the garage drive lights on or off, but I cannot now locate it. Anyone know which company it...
14
14

The great cholesterol con
Like many older people, I was brought up to have considerable respect for members of the medical profession. Pronouncements from the family doctor were to be taken very seriously - almost a latter-day...
58
58

Carbon Monoxide Detector
A neighbour bought a detector and asked me to fit it. As her Combi is in an upstairs airing cupboard, I fitted the detector in the cupboard (the door isn't especially soundproof) Would you agree with...
13
13

"Green" subsidies.
Seems to be a topic taxing some here. Twenty five times more is spent subsidising fossil fuels compared with renewables. ^headlines Francisco-based Climate Policy Initiative claims that the annual...
2
2

Which? says B&Q website is bottom of the pile
http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=17019
13
13