Presence detection ...

Have just written a script to see if my mobile phone is present within the house. My router is configured to only issue it the same IP address. So a regular ping ... if it fails I will assume I am out, and start the Zoneminder service to capture CCTV footage.

It's one of those projects where all the pieces were there, just needed joining up.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

So if someone breaks in and nicks you phone then the CCTV recording will stop?

:-)

Reply to
Andrew May

No, start :).

It's only noddy. TBH I could just as easily started the service *from* my phone - it has software to let me telnet into the server.

I'm trying to think of more applications, given the ability for my server to "know" (using my phone as a proxy) if I'm in or out.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Doesn't this also assume the the phone is wifi enabled 100% of the time? With my phone I can 4/5 days of battery life if services such as wifi are turned off, unless needed. With everything on I'm lucky to get a day before needing a charge.

Reply to
alan

I tend to charge the phone daily. To be honest there's no real downside to the mechanism being less than 100% reliable. I already occasionally forget to set the camera, and if it doesn't cut off when I'm home I'll just have a bit less disk space. To be honest if I needed a 100% reliable technique, I'm not sure how to go about it.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Basic but functional within it's limitations:

WiFi is switched on in the phone. The phone isn't switched off, as in off off not "asleep". The phone isn't in airplane mode (? does that switch of all RF emmisions or just the 2G/3G/4G stuff). The phones battery isn't flat becasue the WiFi is on.

But storeage is so cheap these days why not just record your CCTV footage all the time in date/time named files of say 15 mins duration and have a maximum number of files (or storeage use) and delete the oldest?

Who is to say that you will be out when some scroate damages your car on the drive or breaks in?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Won't you know by your surroundings? :-)

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Turn down the heating?