OT What has my bloody dog been eating?

Idiot dog, labrador, eats anything he comes across including all the animal poop from the farm I live near. Twice now in the last few days he's vomited up what looks like some sort of seed pod. About 3 inches long, a bit like a small banana, hard woody ends and the insides vaguely like an onion. Looks like he swallowed them almost whole. I'm stumped as to what they might be or where he's getting them from.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Vanilla pod?

Reply to
Huge

Never seen one that short, but reminds me a bit of Laburnum, which ISTR is toxic

Reply to
newshound

In article , Huge writes

Does sound like it, also I have a large yucca-type plant in the garden which produces pods like that at the ends of its stems after flowering, similar to these:

On the positive side, vanilla pods should make Fido's poop smell a bit better...

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Good point. We had a Laburnam tree in our front garden at our last house, which I always hoped would poison one of the schoolchildren who left large quantities of litter. Never did, sadly.

Reply to
Huge

The dog walkers round here tend to put muzzles on labradors. Given their reputation for being good tempered beasts, I asked and was told it was to stop them eating everything they could.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sounds a little like immature corncob but it's a bit late in the season now. Might be some left over after harvesting.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Huge put finger to keyboard:

Presumably hanging a sign on the tree with "Delicious Snack Tree" in massive letters, with "This is not a" in tiny writing just above, would be frowned upon.

Reply to
Scion

Phormium tenax, aka New Zealand Flax. More pictures of seed pods here:

Chris Hogg

Who knows, but Labradors do have a quite robust digestion and seem to be able to vomit very easily when they find indigestible items.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's what labradors do. As a child I quickly learnt that I did not have to eat the cold sprouts at my Grandparents Sunday dinner as the Lab sat under the table would eat them for me.

Reply to
ARW

En el artículo , Chris Hogg escribió:

That's the one, thank you, I googled for a while trying to identify it but failed.

Not mine but very similar, the leaves are darker, maybe because it's in a north-facing garden. Seems happy enough though, the rate it grows. It's full of seed pods now.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That looks quite like it. I might have misled by saying "seed pod" because I have no actual reason to believe they contained seeds so perhaps I should have stuck to "pod" on its own. I'd say they were about 1" in diameter x 3" to 4" long hence the "like a small banana" bit. There is a pond about half a mile away but whether he roams that far I have no idea.

Last night what came up was a mess of quite large grass and other sundry plant stalks. God knows he gets enough actual dog food to eat to not have to rely on foliage but as others have said, that's bloody labradors for you.

Earlier this year I forgot about a small tin of opened cat food at the back of the fridge for about a month. When I spotted it it was covered in mould, had gone all green and slimy and the smell was so bad I stuck it out on the back step overnight cos I couldn't be arsed to put my boots on and take it round to the bin. Sure enough feckin dog ate it all first time I let him out for a wee.

Reply to
Dave Baker

There's all manner of colours and shades; pink ones, purple ones, yellow ones, striped ones.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I *believe* that dogs will eat grass and possibly other foliage when they are feeling sick, to act as an emetic. I've known at least two that do this, but sufficiently irregularly for it to be a simple habit. And some don't seem to do it at all.

Reply to
newshound

All ours died last winter. :o(

Reply to
Huge

A friend's lab used to "eat" stones. I think surgery was required in the end

Reply to
stuart noble

Cats eat small amounts of grass too. They are not able to digest the cellulose to get the energy out of the grass though. Grass contains folic acid which they need. They can also choose specific types of grass to make them throw up the indigestable parts of animals they've eaten such as fur and bones, which they probably find more comfortable than allowing to pass all the way through.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Our Phormiums died. We don't have a dog.

Reply to
Huge

Followed by an afternoon of grandparents being gassed. "That bloody dog, what's it been eating?"

Cat farts are vile, though.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon