Subject Author Posted Replies

Extended Over Voltage
I am seeing this message reported by a UPS. Can this be down to anything other than the supply from the grid? In other words, can other items connected to the installatioin or on the same internal...
2
2

Perhaps trees should be Gas-safe registered?
They're a lot more dangerous than DIY-ers who service3 their own boilers! "Three houses have collapsed and two others have been damaged following a gas explosion caused by a fallen tree on Bath Road...
4
4

mixer taps, "high pressure"
I'm looking to replace a failed "Damixa" tap after only a few years (it drips badly, the vertical swivel is now loose so droops into sink and rubber grips are disintigrating). Looking at taps I see...
19
19

Making universal joints
I need two flexible joints. They can have plain bearings. Friction doesn't really matter. I'm not going to pay for them, and approval for buying any will take a mont h of paperwork. I don't see any...
14
14

storm reports
Apperently things are bad down te south coast already, so I thought it would be worth starting a thread to report on whats happening in various areas. 1:22 am West Suffolk, moderate rain wind...
151
151

Leaking garage roof update:
Going back to the other day re: my very leaky flat roof.. Thanks for all the suggestions. I popped into Wicks this afternoon for something to effect a very emergency repair with due to severe weather...

IQA/Iberdrola/Scottish Power
Scottish Power, now owned by Iberdrola, have subcontracted a supply cable replacement to a company called IQA. The latter have sent out letters to all flat occupants at the same address, telling them...
8
8

TOT. Pub names
Daughter & son in law are moving house & there is an out building SIL intends to convert into a mini pub. Needless to say, he has my full support :-) I want to make them an amusing pub sign. He is a...
32
32

plastic coin bags
Where can you get those plastic bags that the banks use for the various coins (1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p & 50p) ? Will the banks give non-commercial customers a supply of them ? Jim Hawkins
75
75

One Down!
TOJ. A wind turbine collapses in strong winds which swept across Devon on Saturday night.
16
16

Space above a gas hob
I've fitted a gas hob and I need to get a gas fitter in to connect it up. I'm getting conflicting advice about space above and around the hob. B&Q's kitchen bloke designed a kitchen for me, and...
2
2

New garage base
I have a concrete sectional garage stood on what appears to be originally o n a concrete drive. The base itself is not flat and slopes in two direction s, the result being that the garage has a...
5
5

Any Chemists on the forum? Hypo
Sodium Thriosulphate (or hypo) is (was?) used as a photographic 'fixer' for black & white photographs. It also has a useful reaction with steel producing an intense black colour on the surface of the...
6
6

Adding to a switched fused outlet
I have a switched fused outlet sitting on top of a kitchen wall cabinet, used to supply an cooker extractor fan. It's fed by 2 cables. I'd like to tap in to this supply to feed some under-cupboard...
5
5

DIY plasma cutter
HI all, My new hobby involves making things out of RSJs. Trouble is, some of the stock I've acquired is damn big and thick and really too much for a junior hacksaw. So I'm forced to consider an...
8
8