Subject Author Posted Replies

OT Good headboard reading light
Can anyone recommend a reading light that will clip on to the *vertical* edge of a bed headboard, has a switch on the light, not the cord and preferably LED? A flexible neck would be nice too. You...
14
14

OT The gf's comments from the weekend
gf "I can't find the ap on my phone to change the TV channel" me "Shall I just use the TV's remote control then? It's next to me on the arm of the sofa" gf "If you must but that's not the correct way...
12
12

Defender 3000 house alarm manual
Can anyone help with finding a manual for the Defender 3000 house alarm.

OT: Remote 'Enter' button connected to Laptop via Bluetooth
I know that this is way OT but Dave P might know the answer ;-) I use a laptop (actually a heavy-as-lead Toughbook) with a Leica GNSS recei ver for surveying. Recording of points is achieved by...
12
12

OT - first razor for teen
Any recomendations for a first electric razor for Grandad to but for his grandson?
33
33

Leaking CI guttering
Is there an easy solution to this, or is taking down the affected sections and re-puttying the only one. In a 60ft run, fortunately single storey, I've had to do two this summer and now another two...
5
5

floorboards to replace - chipboard or real wood
I need to replace some sections of T&G floorboards on a first floor landing. They are 3 section of floorboard wide and cover 3 or 4 joists. Would it be ok to use 20 mm chipboard sections, cut to...
28
28

Well OT: Heart surgery - what would you do?
Had some tests done recently that ended in being told I need a triple bypass. Saw the surgeon in clinic on Wednesday 2nd July, during which he told me that ideally he would like me to lose some weight...
67
67

OT: World Pay Zinc
I'm just about to buy one of these. I know there are discount codes knocking about, anyone know a current one?
10
10

Are gas fitters allergic to gas tightness testing?
Just wondering - because I've never seen a registered fitter do a manometer drop test. I've only seen the use of leak spray occasionally too.
28
28

replacing radiators
Hi everyone, I'm looking to have my 35 year old radiators replaced with modern ones. A lot of the panels are only a single panel, and will be replaced with double panels where there is a need for more...
11
11

Grades of Steel
Hi all, Does anyone know which grade of steel hammers are typically made from? Better still, a website where various grades of steel are matched up to their ideal applications? cheers, cd
7
7

Indesit fridge freezer
Our Indesit fridge freezer seems to have popped it's clogs. Light comes on, so I know there is power to it, but it's getter warmer inside and there isn't any noise coming from it. Any ideas?
21
21

Protective goggles: has anyone tried this?
Hi all, We all know goggles don't last 5 minutes before they become so scratched up they're impossible to see through. These scratches typically arise as a result of us wiping "dust" off the lenses...
7
7

Ovens with simple controls
Does anybody make electric ovens with simple controls these days? Our old tricity built in double oven is really obvious : One knob with temperature for the main oven, one knob with temperature for...
18
18