OT: Remote 'Enter' button connected to Laptop via Bluetooth

I know that this is way OT but Dave P might know the answer ;-)

I use a laptop (actually a heavy-as-lead Toughbook) with a Leica GNSS recei ver for surveying. Recording of points is achieved by tapping the relevant button on the (non-touch sensitive screen) with a stylus or, after the fir st point has been captured and provided the relevant 'button' is active on one of many dialogue boxes, by pressing the enter key.

I'm wondering if there is a means of creating a Bluetooth-paired enter butt on that I could strap to the GNSS pole so that I don't need to tap the scre en or press the enter button on the Toughbook keyboard.

Ta

Richard

Reply to
RJS

If you can click with a mouse, then Would a wireless optical mouse, with the sensor taped over work? (Taped over so the mouse pointer doesn't get moved once you have positioned it using the built in mouse)

Reply to
Toby

Bluetooth numeric keypad in a box with an external button wired to the Enter matrix contacts

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Bluetooth "buttons" exist (like the Wise), but at a price....

Reply to
Lee

I know that this is way OT but Dave P might know the answer ;-)

I use a laptop (actually a heavy-as-lead Toughbook) with a Leica GNSS receiver for surveying. Recording of points is achieved by tapping the relevant button on the (non-touch sensitive screen) with a stylus or, after the first point has been captured and provided the relevant 'button' is active on one of many dialogue boxes, by pressing the enter key.

I'm wondering if there is a means of creating a Bluetooth-paired enter button that I could strap to the GNSS pole so that I don't need to tap the screen or press the enter button on the Toughbook keyboard.

Just do a search on the Itunes store (Assuming you've got an Iphone) for "Computer Mouse"

Reply to
Nthkentman

You would need a keyboard which was not based on a membrane, which most seem to be these days. Might be worth looking at an old cherry and using a ps2/usb adapttor

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

eceiver for surveying. Recording of points is achieved by tapping the rele vant button on the (non-touch sensitive screen) with a stylus or, after the first point has been captured and provided the relevant 'button' is active on one of many dialogue boxes, by pressing the enter key.

button that I could strap to the GNSS pole so that I don't need to tap the screen or press the enter button on the Toughbook keyboard.

I can only click with a mouse if the mouse pointer is over the 'enter' butt on on the relevant bit of the screen IYSWIM.

Reply to
RJS

A butchered Cherry keyboard might be a cheap 'n nasty solution. Ta.

Reply to
RJS

Sorry not got an iPhone. As it happens I don't want a mouse because of the need to locate the cursor over a specific bit of the screen. I want a but ton that replicates the action of the 'enter' button on the keyboard. Thus I don't need to look at what's happening when I press the button.

Reply to
RJS

How about a presentation remote control? They're meant for working Powerpoint etc but AFAIK all they do is send keystrokes. Either the space bar or the enter key would serve your purpose; if that's not provided, I believe some of the more advanced models have a "learn" mode.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Last BT mouse I used (I think Logitech) allowed any keystroke to be assigned in software to the middle button.

Of course that still leaves the risk of accidental clicks but perhaps it could be enclosed in a small box (or length of conduit?) to protect it.

Reply to
Robin

Ok, so in this case, if you tape over the sensor on the bottom of the wireless mouse, then using the laptop built in mouse, put the pointer in the correct place when you start, it shouldn't move.

Reply to
Toby

Dunno about bluetooth, but there's a load of X10 remote controls out there. These generally feed into a program, i.e. Eventghost. This should be able to be configured to do exactly what you want -- it's one of those prgrams that can be configred to do pretty much anything (which comes at the price of a learning curve).

Eventghost is free, maybe have a look?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer