Bluetooth receiver for remote

I am looking for a bluetooth remote control for a device, and want it to control my tv and amplifier. My Amplifier, a pioneer vsx930 is IR controlled by it's own remote and wondered if any bluetooth receiver could be used so that I can control it with a bluetooth remote controller.

I already have a bluetooth receiver, but I don't want to buy a remote yet in case it won't work.

Reply to
Rob H

I think your wallet is safe ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Does that mean it won't work. What about a remote with it's own receiver , will that work

Reply to
Rob H

I am not sure I understand what you mean by bluetooth receiver in this context. The amp claims to already include a bluetooth capability:

"Built-in Bluetooth® Wireless Technology (Version: 2.1 + EDR, Profile: A2DP/AVRCP, Codec: SBC/AAC)"

The AVRCP is intended to allow a bluetooth device basic control over the playback capabilities of the device - so play, stop, pause, next and previous track, and volume control. If that is what you want, then many bluetooth headsets will have these features. You may also be able to get a remote control that can issue the commands.

It also claims to support "iControlAV5 Remote Control App Ready (iOS/Android)", which suggests that if you download a suitable app, then you should be able to use a phone to give more complete control of the amp.

Reply to
John Rumm

Aah, ok fair dos. I didn't think nor realise my Pioneer am comes with bluetooth. What I meant was, in case it didn't have bluetooth, then could I plug in a bluetooth dongle / receiver in to the amp so that I could use a bluetooth remote controller

Reply to
Rob H

Does it have the capacity to plug in a dongle?

(And if you are not sure id something will work, buy from Amazon and send it back if it doesn't.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Yes there is a USB port on the front.

Reply to
Rob H

You mean via USB or similar? It *might*, but that would only be the case if they had programmed it to look for and accept commands from a USB bluetooth adaptor.

There is a way you could do it if you don't mind rolling your own solution, by building a bluetooth to IR gateway using an Arduino or similar. Basically translating commands received by the Arduino from a bluetooth module that were generated by a bluetooth remote control, and having the Arduino spit out the matching IR command to the amp via an IR LED.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm not sure about bluetooth, but some universal remotes can use wifi and you can place a wifi to infra-red device in the room where the equipment is located, allowing you to control it from anywhere in the house or garden, as long as a wifi signal is present.

Reply to
SteveW

Can the amp actually be controlled via USB?

Reply to
alan_m

Basically you would need to know what the ir system is it uses for what controlls, then have a kind of translator receiver that receives bluetooth, and outputs the IR codes, but you would need different ones for different equipment. It was bad enough back in the day with universal remotes with seemingly hundreds of buttons and things to cope with every eventuality.

Nurse the screens. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I found that my amp does have or support bluetooth, so a bluetooth remote control for all devices?? should work. We'll see if it does.

Reply to
Rob H

I wouldn't bet on it, what bluetooth "profiles" does it support?

It might just handle stereo audio (A2DP), not remote control (AVRCP), if a remote is cheap, suck it and see, but don't expect the amp to pass-on remote commands to other connected equipment.

Andy Burns

I'd be most surprised if any device designed to be used with an IR remote could be turned off and on by bluetooth.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Replace "bluetooth" by "using an app" and it sounds more plausible in this fay and age (even if the app uses bluetooth!)

Reply to
John Rumm