Indesit fridge freezer

Our Indesit fridge freezer seems to have popped it's clogs.

Light comes on, so I know there is power to it, but it's getter warmer inside and there isn't any noise coming from it.

Any ideas?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The obvious, check nothing has moved the thermostat setting north and then drink all the beer now before it gets to warm to enjoy....

What's the complexity of the beast? A model number might help, then I could suggest a test by linking across the thermostat to see if the compressor runs. OTOH, if the thermostat is not direct mains but electronic, erm...

Have a look at the forum on

Adrian C

If the compressor's not running its likely fixable quite cheaply.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

But that says; "Compressor dead Compressors can be replaced and the refrigerant gas refilled, but again most fridges aren't worth it".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Someones got to do it I suppose....

It's a BIAA 134 FH if that helps.

Bugger to get to the back of it. The compressor vibrates and is very hot.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not a frost free f*ck pig is it?? If the compressor is hot to the touch then it is f***ed. If the compressor is trying to kick in and you hear a clicking sound, it is f***ed. If it is cold then it is most likely the thermostat. Cheap to buy, easy to fit.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Correct.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Compressor might be o/c, but much more likely its just not getting power.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Alas it is.

Very ho, not just warm.

It vibrates, no clicks.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You can feel it vibrating.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If it is claimed to be 'frost free' and the freezer is still relatively cold and the fridge is up at ambient or above then it's quite likely to have frozen the evaporator in a solid block of ice.

If so its fixable (bodgeable for maybe a 6 week cycle) with nothing more than a screwdriver, hammer and a hairdrier / wallpaper stripper in about 30 minutes.

It might also have a built in test function activated by a button sequence but forget that for now. Just check the temperatures at the air vents at the top of the fridge compartment, then remove the drawers in the freezer and measure the the rear wall of the freezer compartment preferably with an IR thermometer.

Reply to
The Other Mike

You can cool the beer with a co 2 extinguisher of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Alas neither is working/cold.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Fridge freezer remained dead as a doornail all over the weekend, SWMBO came home from work tonight and the bugger is working!!!!!

Can't trust it now, new one arriving Weds.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You may have jumped too soon. Emptying it, leaving the doors open overnight with a fan heater blowing at it would have thawed the thing out. The problem would have eventually come back though. Frost free have timers, defrost heaters and other shitee. They are shit and have always been shit. In a past life I used to repair refrigeration and I hated the things. I sincerely hope that you have ordered a conventional fridge freezer?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Good career choice:-) BTW I must get round to fixing the stat on my beer fridge. I have been using it with a timer for the last two years.

Reply to
ARW

I certainly have.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Good man! It's not your fault that you are a southerner.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Dave, you are not right very often but I'd tend to agree with you on this one.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Being a Southerner isn't a fault, it's a blessing.

And we don't have a speech impediment like you whippet racers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman