Subject Author Posted Replies

water source heat pumps
The next big thing apparently Exclusive: Scandinavian-style technology water-source heat pumps to be used
14
14

Are energy-saving light bulbs now a thing of the past already?
Several years ago, when bulbs exactly like this one were introduced, various shops, Sainsbury's in particular, ran promotions to buy them for 50 pence each. I bought about a dozen. Now I've used my...
86
86

dishwasher detergent clogging drain
I need to put rods through my drain about every year or so due to dishwasher detergent congealing and clogging the drain. Using "Finish" (top brand ?) tablet detergent. We rarely use the sink which...
36
36

OT Big increase in solar electricity anticipated
Solar energy 'could provide 4% of UK electricity by 2020' "The plummeting cost of solar panels has caused the government to revise upwards its forecast for solar energy use, Energy Secretary Ed Davey...
92
92

Charging Shelf
One or two people have mentioned making a charging shelf, to tidy up the arrangements for charging mobile phones, tablets, cameras, toothbrushes, etc. Have any of you made one and, if so, how did you...
25
25

Customs payment
Ordered up some bits from the US which I'll likely have to pay import duty on. Tracking says they arrived at UK customs on the 20th. I presumed they send me a postcard saying how much to pay, then...
32
32

Machine-gunned lawn ?
First cut of the year, and I've noticed that there are loads of small circular patches - as if it had been machine-gunned. Turns out they are some sort of flat weed, which lies lower than the grass...
3
3

PAT test and a H&S report
I never thought I would get paid to do a H&S electrical report. However can anyone else justify this as anything other than a fail? http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=File:PAT_test.jpg...
140
140

Advice needed finding (now obsolete) spares alternative for Ryobi RCS-4450C 50cm
70545 Problem: Apparently the oil pump worm drive has gone on my 2009 Ryobi RCS-4450C 50cm Petrol Chainsaw as I didn't use the chainsaw for a few months and the cha in oil thickened. A chainsaw expert...
3
3

Simple (for a change) DIY trolley
One very minor success amongst all the other bits of aggravation. We moved the sofa out of the lounge before the prolonged refurbishment and it involved three men and a lot of huffing and puffing to...
15
15

Mortar to look like lime mortar
I am going to put a brick porch on an old house. I want the mortar to blend in with the lime mortar of the house. I don't want to use the real M'Coy, just something that looks a similar colour. I...
4
4

Microbore blockage
When I was having some work done on my kitchen I asked the plumber to include re-piping a radiator (the pipes were under the plasterboard and went to a manifold above the ceiling.) When I got home...
4
4

Boiler troubles
Just because I thought I'd have a clear weekend for doing something useful, one of my boilers went phut. I've localised it to the PCB and will source one. Apparently this is very common on this model...
5
5

Spray gun question
I have though about getting a spray gun but am put of by not knowing how to keep them clean after use. Is it easy or a PITA? tips would be great!
3
3

Removing concrete pond
Hi, I am having problems in trying to remove a concrete pond that was built by the previous owners. I have drained the pond using a water pump and drilled a number of holes at the bottom of the pond...
9
9