Subject Author Posted Replies

household ammonia; perishability of strong ammonia
Household ammonia is (AFAICT) 5 to 10% ammonia in water, but it seems hard to find in the UK. (I want to try using it to remove greasy film from high surfaces in the kitchen.) I have an old 2.5 litre...
20
20

OT This week's auction
Some interesting historical stuff here: In a different section, there is this gem: Lot No: 3259 A composition hedgehog riding a tractor Estimate £15.00 - £25.00 Just what we need!
2
2

car finishing
For the last couple of years the finish on my car bonnet has been bubbling up. It peels off easily enough with a finger nail, leaving what appears to be sound paintwork underneath, but I've no idea...
18
18

Crumbling PVC waste pipes.
My dad did the plumbing in his house which he moved into about 25 years ago. In ignorance, he used white PVC waste pipe and fittings outside, which are crumbling due to UV exposure. I've replaced some...
5
5

Big Clive dissects a crappy 13A dounble socket with USB ports
This socket was sent to me for analysis when it failed to charge the original users devices. I think it's probably a good idea the original owner got rid of it, since it has a rather unique earthing...
25
25

should DIY be a green cause
In the interests of the conservation of materials and energy, should not DIY, especially the repair of goods, be a priority for the environmental movement? Bill
98
98

Shower silicone
I have a cast stone shower tray, that has a leak somewhere around its perimeter (2 sides are Respatex) So intend to reseal ........... what is best wisdom - cut the top 10mm off, give it a good clean...
1
1

bathroom fittings
A friend has recently moved and has some problems with some bathroom fittings. Can anyone identify the maker of basin/bath taps shown in the first two photographs? If you are thinking of installing...

Felt roof repair compound
As with anything where the application has not been tested and documented by the manufacturer you'll just have to do it and report back in few years whether it worked. Bill
3
3

Vodaphone strange!
Some months ago, Vodaphone re-jigged their website. Security is improved! by sending a text with a number to enter into a box. Logged in OK earlier but could not find a way of downloading my bill via...
6
6

Travel insurance
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/pre-existing-travel-insurance#serious
4
4

OT: weevils in flour
shake all flour through fine one of these, not sieve with rotating doover(it might mash them( Redirect Notice Redirect Notice Redirect Notice Redirect Notice
10
10

RS Compenents.
I order up two things from RS over the weekend. One essential for the job, the other desirable. Both in stock and to be delivered the next working day. Which I assumed to be Tuesday. On Monday, get an...
8
8

SDS drill
The Bosch GBH 2-20D is on a special offer today at Amazon for £78. That's a slight reduction compared to other places. Is this a sensible purchase? I just want a corded SDS+ drill, with safety clutch...
6
6

OT, Using frozen veg then re freezing after cooking?
Hi all, In my efforts to eat more healthily I am making Stews and soups. I make a Stew in my slow cooker, using meat like Beef Brisket and cook it very slow and get good results, I tend to cook a...
17
17