Manhole cover, what key to use?

A picture:

There are two (nearly) circular key holes, but there is no "lip" under the flat (north and south) bits. i.e. there is no obvious way to insert a key and turn to make lifting it secure. (If you see what I mean.)

Any ideas how this is supposed to work would be most welcome.

Thanks & regards WeeBob

Reply to
WeeBob

With mine, I just use a large wide-bladed screwdriver under one edge and lever it up, then jam something into the gap so that you can reposition yourself to get your fingers under the edge and lift it, pivoting on the opposite edge.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

WeeBob a écrit :

That type usually have a short bit of bar across each of the holes, the hole allows you to get your fingers under / around the bar. I wonder if the bars might have rotted away?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Chris Hogg a écrit :

A couple of garden spades work well.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

One time those "holes" would have had a bar across them which a bit of rope or strong hands could get a purchase on and lift or lever up. They corrode easily as they are often immersed in water and usually break off which seems to have happened here. You will need to insert something under an edge and lever up. Old screw driver to start, then something heavier. Pays to have a few items or bits of wood that you can wedge under as you go so it doesn't drop back down again . Not difficult to seriously injure a finger or two if that happens.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

G Minor?

B Flat?

:-)

Reply to
David Lang

Thanks that's exactly it.

Reply to
WeeBob

Yes indeed. They have rotted away.

Thanks.

Reply to
WeeBob

Just beware that when you lever it up a bit and drop it back into the rim trench, the liquid shit in there if the inspection chamber has filled up splashes up into your face.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Like one of mine! I had to use a large screwdriver and long chisel (as used for shaping bricks - not wood.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Two bars across the circular holes are missing (rusted away) I use a utility bar as a lever under the edge to lift the cover

alan_m

I found that I had a tyre lever from my motorcycling days. Flattened and profiled the end and it'll lift covers and is kind tro the new, big, water meter cover.

Reply to
PeterC

If you have a couple of clamps that can be configured to act as spreaders rather than clamps. you may be able to get them to grip against the flats of the edges of the hole, and then use the clamps to lift it.

Failing that, weld a couple of bits or bar back over the holes like those which were probably there at one time.

Reply to
John Rumm