Flapper valve flushers

A few years ago, a couple of Flapper valve flushing toilets were installed at my parents place. These only ever last about a year before the rubber disc starts leaking into the pan, and is found to be covered in hard water scale. Do these things really only last about a year before needing maintenance, or are these two particularly bad for some reason?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think that they are simply the wrong type of flush for use in a hard water area. Our water is as hard a snails and traditional syphons run for years. In

34 years here I've replaced one syphon lift diaphragm/plastic sheet and that split due to old age rather than any scale problems. Our taps have to be stripped and descaled every 5 years or so but no scale problems in the cisterns.
Reply to
Bob Minchin

Got two here - about ten years or so old. No problem with them at all except having to clean and then spray the button mechanism with, I think, silicone.

The chrome on one of the push buttons looks decidedly tatty now compared with new. Not dreadful but might fit a new one.

Reply to
polygonum

Have flapper in a house abroad at least 14 years old and still going strong. Hard water area. I have only once had a small leak and it was cured by cleaning the seal around the flapper area.

Reply to
ss