Subject Author Posted Replies

9 inch angle grinder- direction of rotation
Hi. I have an el cheapo 9 inch angle grinder that I bought years ago. The b rand is Kinzo and it has a reversible handle (i.e. the handle rotates about the long axis of the machine, to give left...
6
6

Multi function detector (2023 Update)
I have had a metal/stud/live cable detector for close on ten years. It always worked fine for all but the stud detection mode, where it just seemed to radomly detect none existant studs in fresh air....
24
24

Bore a hole in topsoil using standard drill? Auger bit?
Hello all, I have two fence posts to set and being a lazy sort I'd rather like to bore the hole with some kind of power tool. A bit of searching has turned up "earth augers" which seem to be large...
28
28

Nice PAT test fail
I was not PAT testing but I did spot this today whilst doing an EICR I was interested as it was powering this which had a brass lampholder (needs an earth). And for the grand finale of fuck ups (the...
65
65

Failure Mode of Plastic
The type of plastic often used to wrap cheese intrigues me - it is a devil to start a tear but once a tear is started ot goes all over the place with no effort. What is going on with the material...
6
6

OT David Mackay dies
As pre-figured in this newsgroup Professor Sir David Mackay has died. He was probably best known as the author of Sustainable Energy - Without the Hot air: although he also had an distinguished...
5
5

SECUROGLIDE roller garage door replacement magnet?
I've managed to break off and lose the lower magnet on my roller door. When closing it now takes many short stages to close the door. Replacement magnets seem very hard to find, even on eBay - anyone...
3
3

HOW much for a desk reading lamp??
£349.99 for a 35W halogen reading lamp. I wonder if Russ Andrews owns the company? Tim
20
20

How to fix wallplate to very uneven crumbly wall for hangers and joists and a sturdy dance floor?
How to fix this wallplate to this very uneven crumbly wall for hangers and joists and a sturdy dance floor? Photo at About 2.3 metre x 2.3 meter Cracky stone and old lime mortar / powder Over joists...
7
7

Partly rebuilding a wall
Prompted to some extent by the Scottish schools discussion, my thoughts have turned to a wall I need to fix this summer. It's at the front of the house, at the boundary with the pavement, is about 3...
3
3

Woodburner thread lock
I have a woodburner with two parts (a hinge pin and the nut that holds on the door catch) that slowly slacken off and eventually fall out/off. Can anyone suggest a way of holding them on? I've tried...
27
27

OT: Linux video crash help please.
Hi all, So, today I assembled a new PC on behalf of a family member with the intention of them running Linux with Windows for 'Windows things'. W10 (64b) installed and found all it's drivers ok and...
22
22

OT: Disingenuous, to say the least.
Anyone had this yet? Microsoft kindly delivers me this popup when I launched IE. It purports to stop home page and search engine hijacking, but the default is to hijack my carefully chosen home page...
27
27

Re: the EU and referendums
whose last column in the Guardian was as long ago as Aug 2008; who is fed up that nobody nowadays even knows who he is any more, never mind listens to what he has to say; and who has made a really...
25
25

3.5mm jack plugs and 7:1 audio
[I think I'm answering most of my questions as I work through the description, but would still like to check my understanding.] I'm trying to put together a home audio system based around a Home...
40
40