OT: Disingenuous, to say the least.

Anyone had this yet? Microsoft kindly delivers me this popup when I launched IE. It purports to stop home page and search engine hijacking, but the default is to hijack my carefully chosen home page to MSN not to mention search to bing.com)

The bastards.

Reply to
Graham.

Leave Microsoft and leave the EU.

It's the 21st century FFS.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And what do you need a "home page" for anyway. Mine is set to about:blank.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Sounds boring. Mine's set to this:

Cursitor Doom

Some sort of blank page, however expressed (is that a tit reference?), is my choice. Using at least three browsers, I really don't need all of them displaying flesh each and every time I open any one of them. If I want that, it would make more sense to put them up as wallpaper.

Anything but the MSDN pages which seem to be the MS default in IE (whether PC manufacturer-specific or not). The time it takes between launching IE and getting to the point at which you can use the Internet Options menu to change home page is ridiculous.

Reply to
polygonum

I use Opera with speed dial as the start page.

Reply to
Richard

That's considerably more boring than mine.

By keeping the home page of some vendor or assembler of your PC, you're just allowing them to advertise to you. You're also wasting a lot of your own time while all their advertising shit loads. Only once is has can you then go to the page you really want.

Of course these vendors get away with this because most klods have no clue that they can even change the home page, much less know how to do it. They just assume that that is how things are.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And some think their browser homepage is their 'desktop'.

Me on the phone: 'Tight, close all the programs you have open and go back to the desktop.'

Them (on the phone ): 'Right, i've done that and I'm just at Google now ...'

I think (on Windows anyway, I rarely get to see anything else from other people) most people change their desktop wallpaper (wife / girlfriend / family, pet, holiday picture, dream car / babe or football team etc [1]) but little else. Not because they can (although they probably couldn't, like you say) but because they have no interest / desire to. It's no more an issue for them than having a bit of paint on a shovel handle. It's only the geeks who do (and think everyone else) would *want* to change everything, including the whole DE! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] On nearly all my PC's and OS's the desktop picture is the default or a commonly used one because 1) I couldn't care less and 2) it normally works (visually). Like on this XP Mac Mini it's 'Bliss' (the grassy hill and blue sky one) and on most my Linux machines it's the one that tells you what distro and version it is (to remind me).
Reply to
T i m

I would find life much more difficult without my home page, but I prefer not to have any desktop icons.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Huge

Even when it makes things a smidge faster.

Mind you, this is not a new phenomenon. When I was a kid, we had a box Brownie (or thereabouts) with some simple controls. You could focus a little bit by moving a lever which moved another lens in front of the main one so you could sort of do closeups. This lever had three positions, so either no extra lens or one of two lenses. My stepmother used to insist on the lever being in the middle and being left there "in case it harms it to change the position". So all her pictures were out of focus.

Mine is a shot taken in the middle of the French alps in Sept 1971. That was a 6 hour hike up to 10,000 ft and 5 hours back down again. Got to the top with camera and three lens but only two shots left on the film. Ooops! But exceptional air clarity and not a cloud in the sky. I couldn't do a walk of 10% of that these days.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What's on your home page?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes it happens most updates, but its not always permanent and reverts after a while The other problem is that as many have removed the windows update nag for windows 10 program, the new one simply sais your machine is scheduled for upgrading to windows 10 on xx/xx/xx or something similar. If you leave the machine during the update this seems to time out and vanish with yes assumed. Several office workers have had the machine boot up one day with a little note in the corner, updating to Windows 10 please wait and then up to two hours pass during which they are not allowed to turn it of or anything. I'm watching for this, no sign of it yet, and I suspect it mightdepend on that weird setting of do you want Microsoft to tell you about any new software when it updates Windows. Presumably if you tick yes, then that is when it happens! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Awww ... ;-)

Ouch.

And the point with film and that situation is that you had to make the shot count (and it sounds like it did). These days and easy_to_erase digital 'film' you can (and people do) take pictures like a machine gun (which is what model photographers seem to do with their cameras in multi / burst mode) so less time considering composition etc.

Nice to be reminded that you once did via your desktop background though. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Or video and take a frame out of that. Really cheating

Reply to
Stuart Noble

30 seconds of that almost had me phoning up the local gay support line.

"Please, I feel sick, I am a heterosexual and want to join up"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. just easier...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's a tabbed page. Most of the six tabs contain links to frequently- used pages, some obviously more frequently used than others, arranged by category. Other tabs contain reference information about my hardware and software, plus links to configurators for routers, NAS drives, etc.

The home page's purpose and content resemble my idea of most people's browser bookmarks, except that it's laid out more conveniently than any browser would do it, and any updates are instantly accessible from all the browsers I use. I have no use for browsers' bookmarks.

Going back to the OP's peeve, I just fired up IE to check it out and the same pop-up appeared here. I restored normality with just two clicks. Restarting IE, everything is normal. I don't expect to see the pop-up again unless my home page address changes. I find nothing to get worked up about there.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Bizarre, I just use the browser's tabs for that (Safari 9.x). I have four Safari windows open. One has a number of tabs for such as BBC News, my router, Twitter, and one or two others. Another has three tabs open to do with web sites I look after and the console for the hosting company. The next is just a window. No address bar or indeed any other bar and contains my email client. Fourth is a number of documentation tabs for the IDE I'm using to port my email client (which uses a browser window at the minute) to be an executable.

One of the tabs has about:blank, normally, but it's where I put random web pages I might be looking at. Then I blank it when done.

Nice thing is if I restart, so do all those windows and tabs.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You seem to be talking about a dozen or so tabs nd one browser, where I have well over a hundred links and I use four browsers. It's hardly surprising, let alone "bizarre", that different solutions work for us. I wouldn't fancy having all 120 tabs open before I actually did anything, nor would I want the headache of maintaining them separately in each browser.

Reply to
Mike Barnes