Dynamic brake for old Dewalt saw

I've acquired an old (about 1960) Dewalt radial arm saw. (Price was right.) The thing is, the blade spins pretty long when shut off.

I've seen a similar Dewalt saw fitted with an add-on magnetic brake. Since it was painted the same (that splatter green) I assume it was from Dewalt. Now, this was forty years ago; I was in junior high, though that very saw is still in operation.

Does anyone out there know of add-on magnetic brakes designed for fractional HP motors like saws? Gotta be economical; I've seen some industrial strength (and priced) items out on the web.

BTW, we'll bring some life to this group. I've got a couple more questions to post sometime.

Thanks for any help.

Scott Dallmeyer

Reply to
Scott Dallmeyer

Tony Berlin

Basically, it's personal preference, though there's a safety issue too. I thought most tools were now designed to stop faster. I'd rather have it stop so I can get on with a new setup or whatever.

Maybe just a DPDT switch will do the job. I'll have to go see what's in that box they bolted on the school's saw in 1961. Your misunderstanding is only caused by my own ignorance and mixed use of the terms "dynamic braking" and "magnetic braking".

No, I'm not thinking of magnetically activated friction brakes. You're right: way too complicated for this application.

Thomas Register - good steer. Thanks.

Reply to
Scott Dallmeyer

Reply to
Tony Berlin

I would try GlobalSpec

can search for brakes and other components by specifications to meet your exact needs and connect to suppliers quickly

Reply to
Whitey