Dewalt Radial Arm Saw - Question...

I have an opportunity to pick up a Dewalt RAS model 7740 for $100.00.

Can anyone tell me about this model - is it a good deal for $100?? I have no idea about the condition of it - just saw an ad.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
Rob V

It's not one of the really classic DeWalt models, but it's s great saw and is worth the money if it's in good shape.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I just noticed that the same saw is available in my local newspapaer classifieds for $275.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

My personal opinion is that IF it is in good shape it is worth $100. I have the 7770 which is slightly larger "deluxe" version of the same saw and I don't think I could part with it for less than $200. I am probably being a bit "optomistic" with that price, but I have had it since it was new. And it isn't for sale anyway.

The main differences are:

7740 - 2 hp motor 120V only. 7770 - 2 1/4 HP 120/240V motor.

I think the arm must be a little longer on the 7770 because it has a cross-cut capacity of 14 1/2 inches while the 7740 has only 13 inches.

The rest of the differences seem to be in the table size and the stand. The

7770 came with a table that was a little larger and higher off the ground. According to my documentation, the 7740 shipped at 142 lbs.(64.4 kg) and the 7770 shipped at 155 lbs (70.3 kg). The larger table and stand can easily account for the extra 13 lbs.

Other than those, all of the specifications for the two saws are the same.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

It's a fine saw for $100. I suggest the Forrest WW1 blade with the TCP profile and best run with an 8" blade.

Reply to
Rumpty