1946 DeWalt Radial Arm Saw

My father in law has a 1946 dewalt radial arm saw. Anyone have any idea how much it is worth? He is looking to sell it but I am trying to talk him into keeping it.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

What model and what condition is it in?
Once properly tuned up, those old DeWalt RASes will hold settings better than anything out there. (It's not a hard process, but does take a few hours.)
Puckdropper
Model GP and is in great working condition. Little dusty is all.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

This guy? http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id '418
Some dude on eBay's asking $290 buy it now for his saw DeWalt GP. That's not what it's WORTH, that's what he's ASKING.
Puckdropper
That's the one
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If he might possibly use it, he may as well keep it. If someone should come along that really wants it, you could consider that a separate case. It's not that there is anything wrong with the tool, it's just "out of fashion" (maybe because people were putting the wrong blades on them?).
On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 18:43:20 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Someone might take it off his hands if he's willing to pay them $50.
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in wrote:

In a heartbeat! Where's he live?
Puckdropper

We have a dump here, too, but it would take a couple of hours. I would need more than $50. (I have a '75ish Crapsman that I don't believe has been so much as plugged in for 25 years). Maybe some day I'll have a use for it.
I am not paying someone to come throw it away. I can do that for free. If you are interested in buying it make an offer.

Which size blade and where is it? I know GP went to at least 12"; I don't recall if they all were or whether was a range under the GP model...also what's the arm length?

10 inch dual pivot arm. It is in Junction City KS

Bummer! Already have 10"; have regretted immensely not bringing the 14" from TN when came back to the farm but unless minimum 12" just not enough to gain even tho Junction City is within reasonable distance...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Oh, you said earlier that it was your father in law's and that you were trying to talk him into keeping it. Do you have "power of attorney" over him? Given there is not a lot of value in the saw, it may be best to find the best moral solution--maybe there is a technical school nearby that would be thankful for the contribution? HTH.
Bill
On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 11:02:57 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Um, that's the point. I doubt you're going to find anyone who will give you anything for it. Radial arm saws are really passe.
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in wrote:

The RAS has its place in some people's shops, especially a DeWalt RAS properly tuned. I use my RAS more than my SCMS, it holds 90 degrees while my SCMS arm deflects really easily. Should I get a better SCMS? Maybe--but my RAS is better at solving the same problems.
If you've got room for a permanent cross-cut setup, a /good/ RAS can be a very good way to go. The RAS can do everything a SCMS can do plus run a dado stack.
If you're constantly moving the saw, the CMS is probably going to be a better saw for you. They're light weight and good ones will hold their settings in a variety of conditions.
Puckdropper

Let me put it another way. If you didn't have a RAS, would you buy one? I sure as hell wouldn't.

As much as I'd use the setup, it wouldn't be worth the time setting it up. A router and a table saw will do everything, too.

The only thing I want the SCMS for is crosscuts. No dados needed. I have the room for the RAS but, as I've mentioned here, it hasn't been plugged so much as plugged in, in over 25 years.
On 3/30/2018 9:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

I started with a 10" RAS many years ago. I added a 1hp Craftsman cast iron top TS about 4 years later. I seldom used the RAS after that and got rid of it about 4 years after that. I never missed it. In the 90's I set up a dedicated CMS station and almost as soon as I got my first cabinet saw, 1999ish, the CMS station was removed and the CMS went into storage. I could/can cross cut as accurately with my 2 cabinet saws as with the RAS or the CMS.
Why did I get another SCMS? I always find myself needing to square the end of a board and or cut one to length when the TS is set up to cut dado's or rabbets. The Kapex is great but certainly was not a necessity for me. It is more of a time and effort saver for me. And it's list of advantages over the other brands really checked all of the boxes that were keeping me from buying another brand previously.

On 3/31/2018 1:14 PM, Leon wrote: ...

Similar here; 10" DeWalt RAS was only thing had initially; did absolutely everything with it...that would have been early '70s. Didn't get the Model 66 until mid80's I'd guess altho can't recollect for absolute certain any longer precisely. Picked it up directly from Powermatic in McMinnville, TN. Kept the RAS as well; before the day of the miter saw..."inherited" a 14" Rockwell/Delta from owner of a cabinet shop I got to know well when he retired but it was large-enough didn't move it when came back to farm as Dad had bought the identical DeWalt when he was redoing the house and so it was already hear and I thought I'd be satisfied...kick my self routinely when have larger timbers than the 10" will handle... :(

What size, just 10" or larger? The single-arm or center-pivot?