1946 DeWalt Radial Arm Saw

My father in law has a 1946 dewalt radial arm saw. Anyone have any idea how much it is worth? He is looking to sell it but I am trying to talk him into keeping it.

Reply to
mdurig

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

What model and what condition is it in?

Once properly tuned up, those old DeWalt RASes will hold settings better than anything out there. (It's not a hard process, but does take a few hours.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If he might possibly use it, he may as well keep it. If someone should come along that really wants it, you could consider that a separate case. It's not that there is anything wrong with the tool, it's just "out of fashion" (maybe because people were putting the wrong blades on them?).

Reply to
Bill

Someone might take it off his hands if he's willing to pay them $50.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

In a heartbeat! Where's he live?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

We have a dump here, too, but it would take a couple of hours. I would need more than $50. (I have a '75ish Crapsman that I don't believe has been so much as plugged in for 25 years). Maybe some day I'll have a use for it.

Reply to
krw

What size, just 10" or larger? The single-arm or center-pivot?

Reply to
dpb

Model GP and is in great working condition. Little dusty is all.

Reply to
mdurig

I am not paying someone to come throw it away. I can do that for free. If you are interested in buying it make an offer.

Reply to
mdurig

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:66980948-fe05-4b13-834e-57663235fe56 @googlegroups.com:

Some dude on eBay's asking $290 buy it now for his saw DeWalt GP. That's not what it's WORTH, that's what he's ASKING.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Which size blade and where is it? I know GP went to at least 12"; I don't recall if they all were or whether was a range under the GP model...also what's the arm length?

Reply to
dpb
10 inch dual pivot arm. It is in Junction City KS
Reply to
mdurig

Oh, you said earlier that it was your father in law's and that you were trying to talk him into keeping it. Do you have "power of attorney" over him? Given there is not a lot of value in the saw, it may be best to find the best moral solution--maybe there is a technical school nearby that would be thankful for the contribution? HTH.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bummer! Already have 10"; have regretted immensely not bringing the 14" from TN when came back to the farm but unless minimum 12" just not enough to gain even tho Junction City is within reasonable distance...

Reply to
dpb

Um, that's the point. I doubt you're going to find anyone who will give you anything for it. Radial arm saws are really passe.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The RAS has its place in some people's shops, especially a DeWalt RAS properly tuned. I use my RAS more than my SCMS, it holds 90 degrees while my SCMS arm deflects really easily. Should I get a better SCMS? Maybe--but my RAS is better at solving the same problems.

If you've got room for a permanent cross-cut setup, a /good/ RAS can be a very good way to go. The RAS can do everything a SCMS can do plus run a dado stack.

If you're constantly moving the saw, the CMS is probably going to be a better saw for you. They're light weight and good ones will hold their settings in a variety of conditions.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Let me put it another way. If you didn't have a RAS, would you buy one? I sure as hell wouldn't.

As much as I'd use the setup, it wouldn't be worth the time setting it up. A router and a table saw will do everything, too.

The only thing I want the SCMS for is crosscuts. No dados needed. I have the room for the RAS but, as I've mentioned here, it hasn't been plugged so much as plugged in, in over 25 years.

Reply to
krw

talk is cheap make him an offer

or send it to the teardown guy on youtube i think his name os boltr so we can see the innards

Reply to
Electric Comet

I started with a 10" RAS many years ago. I added a 1hp Craftsman cast iron top TS about 4 years later. I seldom used the RAS after that and got rid of it about 4 years after that. I never missed it. In the 90's I set up a dedicated CMS station and almost as soon as I got my first cabinet saw, 1999ish, the CMS station was removed and the CMS went into storage. I could/can cross cut as accurately with my 2 cabinet saws as with the RAS or the CMS.

Why did I get another SCMS? I always find myself needing to square the end of a board and or cut one to length when the TS is set up to cut dado's or rabbets. The Kapex is great but certainly was not a necessity for me. It is more of a time and effort saver for me. And it's list of advantages over the other brands really checked all of the boxes that were keeping me from buying another brand previously.

Reply to
Leon