Subject Author Posted Replies

sundials
When making a sundial why do all of the diagrams show a triangle plate cut on the same degree as the latitude where you live for the shadow projector as opposed to a vertical pole to cast the shadow?...
2
2

In line water shut off valve
Can these valves be repaired rather than only replaced. In line shut off valve in basement does not fully stop water to outside spigot. The valve is not leaking indoors. Valve has been cycled several...
22
22

Recommended repair or magnetron replacement of broken microwave (Jenn-Air M170B)
This Jenn-Air (model M170B) 1,350 Watt microwave just stopped heating: called Jenn-Air customer support who said there's no troubleshooting for when it doesn't heat. They said the magnetron may need...
68
68

Thermostat "problem" - thermal cutoff protection actually works!
Just relaying an experience in case someone else happens across it. I swap= ped a 500W baseboard heater for a new 300W unit as part of a circuit balanc= ing act. Heater refused to turn on, but the...
3
3

Furnace repairs DIY
Furnaces can sometimes give you head aches, especially if it's cold outside and you need it more than ever. To make sure you don't need furnace repair services on a winter day, save yourself some time...

Oil furnace cycling Q?
I have a Weil-McLain oil fired hot water furnace which is cleaned and "tuned up" each year by our svc company. This year it has started short cycling. By that I mean that it will start and run for...
10
10

Neutral prong on Christmas light plug
I bought a few sets of Philips mini Christmas lights this morning. As I was putting them on the tree, I noticed something about the plugs and sockets. 1: The plug does not have a wide neutral prong....
22
22

5.8 FLA, 34.8 LRA
Related to the previous post. A friend takes care of a commerical steam boiler which has a low-water cutoff, whose output switch is rated 5.8 FLA, 34.8 LRA . What is the difference between FL amps and...
7
7

Safgard Low Water Cutoff - 550, what's the problemm?
A friend takes care of a building including a commerical steam boiler. He usually only goes there once a week to make sure the heat is working for the weekend.. The boiler has a low-water cutoff,...
15
15

OT: Health insurance nightmare looming
"The federal government will likely be involved in running the ObamaCare exchange in at least 30 states, 26 of which expressly declined to establish state exchanges. One health-policy expert refers to...
9
9

Customer service is getting better?
"It seems as if everyone has a tale about Customer Service Hell. According to a new survey ... less than half (49%) of consumers worldwide say that they are ?net satisfied? with the businesses they...
2
2

24-7 Furnace Blower with Unheated Rooms
I've been running my furnace blower 24-7 for the past few years. I find it keeps the house temperature more even, especially in the summer. Now that winter is here, I'm wondering if it's still makes...
10
10

Embarrassing question about how to light a built-in propane fireplace
The kids asked me to light the fake fireplace but I don't seem to have gas coming out. Is there normally a second shutoff that I don't know about? details: About a year ago we switched propane...
31
31

Labeling Parts Bins
I need to re-label some Akro-Mils parts bins. The old labels have lost their adhesion and fallen off. What options are there? Dymo embossing label makers are out as are the Dymo thermal printers.
7
7

Cable Tunneling: Mystery Mole?
I'm seeing a lot of this around here. Tried searching, and came up with a lot of hits on "mole" devices, but they all required a sizable hole dug at the beginning (and end?) of the run and the run...
6
6