OT While are eggs becoming more pointy?

I googled this, but all I found were pages about why one should store eggs pointy end down. But I've noticed in the last year or two that eggs from the grocery store are a lot more pointy at the pointy end.

Anyone know why??

Perhaps this is a a home repair question. Does anyone know how to repair an egg that has been stored pointy end up?

Reply to
micky

I'm sure the chickens know, but why are they getting MORE pointy. There's been a change just in the last 10 years.

Reply to
micky

Need I say more? ;)

Reply to
gonjah

Skinny hens?

Does this help?

Dean Hoffman

I think they've been lurking on AHR.

Reply to
krw

The chicken are exercising more. This results in much stronger cloacae muscles The eggs are therefore squeeze more on the way out. This is why they are more oval, aka pointy.. Just keep your chickens away from the gym and make them spend more quality time roosting to solve this problem

Reply to
Attila Iskander

if you notice the news, more eggs are being thrown at politicians/celebrities so some farmers have been selecting for more pointy eggs to increase the aerodynamic characteristics of the eggs thus giving the throwers and extra chance to escape

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Yes, it helps a lot to answer my first question. And it pretty much agrees with Attila, though I don't know why the chickens involved here would be more fit. The eggs are not labeled as free range or anything, and I've read that even with free-range chickens, most never go outside the coop. I should say that the eggs i buy are standard eggs with no special labeling, jumbo size**, sold by Giant Foods in Baltimore. I don't know where they come from before that.

All the other answers were helpful too, especially Gonjah's

.

**But I've always bought jumbo. My mother told me 40 years ago that if the price difference for the next larger size is 10 cents or less, it's worth buying the larger size. Every time I've checked, that's been true, all the way up to jumbo, expecially allowing for inflation, which would make the amount at least 20 cents by now. .
Reply to
micky