(OT) Fishing question

This is Off topic, but at least its not political.
I am sure some of you go fishing. I personally could think of a million things I'd rather do for entertainment than to go fishing.
When I was quite young, my father took me fishing a few times. He showed me how to put the worm on the hook and cast the line. After that, I was instructed to watch the bobber. If it was not for the snacks and soda pop mom sent along, I would have been bored out of my mind.
Ok, there were a few exciting moments, and both I am dad did catch a few fish, which we later cooked and ate. So it was not all bad, but not something I'd do now. If I want fish, the grocery store has them. And I am sure it costs a lot less in the store after considering a fishing license, poles, tackle, boat and a lot more. Better yet, I dont have to sit and stare at a bobber.
But we are all different, and I know some people enjoy it, which is great for them.
Recently I was visiting some friends who love fishing. Or at least they love to drink beer while holding a fishing pole. (The way I see it, I can drink more if I use BOTH hands to drink beer if I am NOT fishing) :)
But this is the question. They spend money for their fishing license, spend more for bait, tackle, gas for the boat, and so on. If they finally do catch a fish, they take it off the hook, look at it, take a photo of it, and toss it back in the lake.
WHAT THE HECK? I thought fishing was to get food. And why do they even need a fishing license if they dont keep the fish? Aside from injuring the fish with the hook, which I assume heals, they just toss it back. Thats after spending a lot of money to catch that fish....
I dont comprehend!!!! I asked one of the guys and he said "It's just a sport". Ok, basketball, baseball, football, are sports too, So is camping, horseback riding, mountain climbing, shooting a bow, and more. I like watching football and it's fun. I have enjoyed camping and horse riding in my younger years. I even shot a bow for awhile. So I guess I chose the sports I enjoy.
But if you are not gonna eat the fish, what is the point? It's about the same as building a house, and then demolishing it when it's finished. *MAKES NO SENSE TO ME*.
On 08/31/2018 11:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@Weiser.com wrote:

)
,
First off it is a passion.
Sitting on your ass and drinking beer is not real fishing. Real fishing you work the water. You require both hands.
The first strike and your back no longer hurts, the flies are no longer annoying you, it is not too hot or too cold, your customer no longer annoy you, life comes into perspective. As I said it is a passion. I catch a lot of fish. I didn't use to, but them I taught myself a lot about Trout behavior. And, it is indeed more fun to catch fish.
Try fly fishing. I am addicted to it.
It is something you either pick up as a passion or you don't. Then again some folks like golf. That I don't get. Like shooting a bullet, walking down range, digging it out of the ground, reloading it into a new casing, rise, lather and repeat. Maybe if you had a dog retrieve the ball?
I have a list of something like 27 fishing rules. My favorites:
Rule #1: Trout are not “smart”. They do not think. They are total creature of instinct. Figure out what that instinct is and you will catch fish
Rule #2: Trout only have two emotions: fear and greed
Rule #4: Trout have only two goals in life: eat and hide
Rule #10: Fishing: if you are not having fun, you are not doing it right. Readjust.
Rule #23: Cold, Wind, Drizzle, Snow Flurries, Nasty Weather: when you have to fish where others fish, use these to your advantage. You get the joint to yourself. Don't be a wimp!
On 09/01/2018 12:48 AM, T wrote:

I was about 12 when I caught my last trout. I shot it. There were no squirrels about and when I crossed the bridge over a little creek, there was the trout lurking under the bridge. Straight shot down, no parallax. Fried up good.
That's fishing!
On 09/01/2018 02:26 AM, snipped-for-privacy@Weiser.com wrote:

An excuse to get away from the ball-n-chain?
On 09/01/2018 04:22 AM, Archie Bunker wrote:

My father and I took my mother fishing for Mothers' Day one year. I stress the 'one'. Taking her to the stock car races didn't work well either. Damn women, all they want is store bought cards, candy and all that crap, not family togetherness.
On Sat, 01 Sep 2018 01:26:35 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@Weiser.com wrote:

    How much were you paid to retrieve the arrow ?     I mean, what's the point of even shooting it if you have to retrieve it ?

    Exactly. IAWTP. Just sit in your basement, like the Bouffant does and live off welfare checks. You can even drink beer with both hands (and paws, if you include the goat). Can't do that shooting a bow.     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

It is good activity and exercise. I am the other way. What good is it to watch the common sports like baseball and football ? YOu just sit there and watch people making more money during that game than most people make all year. I can see playing sports, just not watching it unless maybe you have kids doing the playing
I do not fish either. My dad taught me, but last time was with him and that was over 40 years ago.
On 9/1/18 2:26 AM, snipped-for-privacy@Weiser.com wrote:

If you have to ask the question, you wouldn't understand the answer ;-)
--
Sir, we’re surrounded.
Good, then we can attack in any direction.
snipped-for-privacy@Weiser.com wrote:

You need a fishing license even if you fish in a lake that has no fish in it! Just having the gear in the close proximity of a fishing location is enough to earn the fine, I think. I think "real sportsman" wouldn't think about fishing without a license anyway. I would feel much more "morally wrong" about fishing without a license than I would intentionally exceeding the speed limit with a car. After all, some of the money for the license goes to "support the fish" and their environs.
BTW, I agree that fly fishing is much more fun than the other sorts. You get to stand up, be more active, and you don't have to "re-worm".
Bill
On 09/01/2018 08:33 AM, Bill wrote:

We have triple jeopardy in some places. On the Flathead reservation you need a tribal recreation permit, a tribal fishing license, and a state fishing license. You also might want a GPS since half of Flathead Lake isn't on the rez so you can skip the tribal stuff.
On 9/1/2018 2:26 AM, snipped-for-privacy@Weiser.com wrote:

Not my idea of fishing either but I don't question those that do this.
I would not fish a catch and release place either as it takes something out of the sport when it is restricted.
Feel the same about game farms where people hunt fenced in animals.
I like what Ted Nugent says about bow hunting, "Sport, meat, trophy."
Some people might only want one or two of the three.
Different strokes for different folks.

Huh ? In my experience, catch & release in not a "place" - but regulations - to protect the wild fish stock - like slot limits and fishing seasons .. John T.
On 09/01/2018 10:27 AM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I've seen private lakes that were C&R. iirc you didn't need a license since the whole operation was private.
says...

Some of those I have seen are 'gambling' lakes. You pay so much to fish and a the end of some time limit the biggest fish pays off.
On 9/1/2018 12:27 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I've only seen it in a few area ponds. I could fish for trout just walking out back and across the road to a creek but it is stocked and I think that detracts from any wildness.
I fished a lot when I was younger but now find a lot of restrictions including salt water. We did a lot of surf fishing when I was a kid. Uncle had a jeep and we could drive out on the surf and fish. Now you need a permit just to drive on the beach.
Too many rules can take the fun out of things. I like to be outdoors and almost took up golf but didn't because of something like this.

The regulations are not there to take the fun out ! .. the regulations are there to keep the fun in .. __ for future generations .. __
Please please please - do not equate fishing/angling .. ... with ... UUUGHH golf. You just insult all the anglers out there . ps: you can't insult a golfer ... John T.
On 09/01/2018 05:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Golf is what happens to fishermen who lead unrighteous lives and, well, die: "welcome to the eternal golf course!"
On 09/02/2018 01:31 AM, T wrote:

Golf is fun! I play it with a .357. That's a little rough on the balls but I can always find more on the walking path that goes around the golf course.
On 9/2/2018 2:36 PM, rbowman wrote:

I've done that too. I walk in a park near a golf course and often come home with golf balls, baseballs and the like. I'll hang them up at the range and shoot them with pistols. Once shot a golf ball with a .357 to have it bounce 25 yards back to me to lay at my feet.
You'd be surprised how many times you can shoot these balls before destroying them.
says...

Friend bought a new S&W 22 LR revolver a number of years back and it would do the same thing. Had it worked on and now it will not do that and shoots very well.