[SOLVED] (OT) Fishing question

This is Off topic, but at least its not political.

I am sure some of you go fishing. I personally could think of a million things I'd rather do for entertainment than to go fishing.

When I was quite young, my father took me fishing a few times. He showed me how to put the worm on the hook and cast the line. After that, I was instructed to watch the bobber. If it was not for the snacks and soda pop mom sent along, I would have been bored out of my mind.

Ok, there were a few exciting moments, and both I am dad did catch a few fish, which we later cooked and ate. So it was not all bad, but not something I'd do now. If I want fish, the grocery store has them. And I am sure it costs a lot less in the store after considering a fishing license, poles, tackle, boat and a lot more. Better yet, I dont have to sit and stare at a bobber.

But we are all different, and I know some people enjoy it, which is great for them.

Recently I was visiting some friends who love fishing. Or at least they love to drink beer while holding a fishing pole. (The way I see it, I can drink more if I use BOTH hands to drink beer if I am NOT fishing) :)

But this is the question. They spend money for their fishing license, spend more for bait, tackle, gas for the boat, and so on. If they finally do catch a fish, they take it off the hook, look at it, take a photo of it, and toss it back in the lake.

WHAT THE HECK? I thought fishing was to get food. And why do they even need a fishing license if they dont keep the fish? Aside from injuring the fish with the hook, which I assume heals, they just toss it back. Thats after spending a lot of money to catch that fish....

I dont comprehend!!!! I asked one of the guys and he said "It's just a sport". Ok, basketball, baseball, football, are sports too, So is camping, horseback riding, mountain climbing, shooting a bow, and more. I like watching football and it's fun. I have enjoyed camping and horse riding in my younger years. I even shot a bow for awhile. So I guess I chose the sports I enjoy.

But if you are not gonna eat the fish, what is the point? It's about the same as building a house, and then demolishing it when it's finished. *MAKES NO SENSE TO ME*.

Reply to
Bud

First off it is a passion.

Sitting on your ass and drinking beer is not real fishing. Real fishing you work the water. You require both hands.

The first strike and your back no longer hurts, the flies are no longer annoying you, it is not too hot or too cold, your customer no longer annoy you, life comes into perspective. As I said it is a passion. I catch a lot of fish. I didn't use to, but them I taught myself a lot about Trout behavior. And, it is indeed more fun to catch fish.

Try fly fishing. I am addicted to it.

It is something you either pick up as a passion or you don't. Then again some folks like golf. That I don't get. Like shooting a bullet, walking down range, digging it out of the ground, reloading it into a new casing, rise, lather and repeat. Maybe if you had a dog retrieve the ball?

I have a list of something like 27 fishing rules. My favorites:

Rule #1: Trout are not ?smart?. They do not think. They are total creature of instinct. Figure out what that instinct is and you will catch fish

Rule #2: Trout only have two emotions: fear and greed

Rule #4: Trout have only two goals in life: eat and hide

Rule #10: Fishing: if you are not having fun, you are not doing it right. Readjust.

Rule #23: Cold, Wind, Drizzle, Snow Flurries, Nasty Weather: when you have to fish where others fish, use these to your advantage. You get the joint to yourself. Don't be a wimp!

An excuse to get away from the ball-n-chain?

Reply to
Archie Bunker

How much were you paid to retrieve the arrow ? I mean, what's the point of even shooting it if you have to retrieve it ?

Exactly. IAWTP. Just sit in your basement, like the Bouffant does and live off welfare checks. You can even drink beer with both hands (and paws, if you include the goat). Can't do that shooting a bow. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

It is good activity and exercise. I am the other way. What good is it to watch the common sports like baseball and football ? YOu just sit there and watch people making more money during that game than most people make all year. I can see playing sports, just not watching it unless maybe you have kids doing the playing

I do not fish either. My dad taught me, but last time was with him and that was over 40 years ago.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If you have to ask the question, you wouldn't understand the answer ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

You need a fishing license even if you fish in a lake that has no fish in it! Just having the gear in the close proximity of a fishing location is enough to earn the fine, I think. I think "real sportsman" wouldn't think about fishing without a license anyway. I would feel much more "morally wrong" about fishing without a license than I would intentionally exceeding the speed limit with a car. After all, some of the money for the license goes to "support the fish" and their environs.

BTW, I agree that fly fishing is much more fun than the other sorts. You get to stand up, be more active, and you don't have to "re-worm".

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Not my idea of fishing either but I don't question those that do this.

I would not fish a catch and release place either as it takes something out of the sport when it is restricted.

Feel the same about game farms where people hunt fenced in animals.

I like what Ted Nugent says about bow hunting, "Sport, meat, trophy."

Some people might only want one or two of the three.

Different strokes for different folks.

Reply to
Frank

I come from a fishing family, and was taught to fish by my grandma. We ate what we caught. I was about 5 years old. Been fishing since, but if the fish aren't worth eating because of contamination, I won't fish. I've probably spent more time fishing than 99.9% of people, and I've given it some thought. I've concluded I fish because they might be there. And if they're not, so what? I've had a good day on the boat or dock or shore.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Huh ? In my experience, catch & release in not a "place"

- but regulations - to protect the wild fish stock - like slot limits and fishing seasons .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

That's what rod holders are for. We used to make ad hoc ones. Cut a forked branch, whittle it down, and stick it in the ground. Lean the pole in it and put a rock on the butt end of the pole if the balance is wrong.

We have 'world class' trout streams. People come from great distances and hire fishing guides in order to take selfies with fish. Most of the better creeks are catch and release so back in the water goes the fish.

Reply to
rbowman

I was about 12 when I caught my last trout. I shot it. There were no squirrels about and when I crossed the bridge over a little creek, there was the trout lurking under the bridge. Straight shot down, no parallax. Fried up good.

That's fishing!

Reply to
rbowman

My father and I took my mother fishing for Mothers' Day one year. I stress the 'one'. Taking her to the stock car races didn't work well either. Damn women, all they want is store bought cards, candy and all that crap, not family togetherness.

Reply to
rbowman

We have triple jeopardy in some places. On the Flathead reservation you need a tribal recreation permit, a tribal fishing license, and a state fishing license. You also might want a GPS since half of Flathead Lake isn't on the rez so you can skip the tribal stuff.

Reply to
rbowman

I've seen private lakes that were C&R. iirc you didn't need a license since the whole operation was private.

Reply to
rbowman

Some of those I have seen are 'gambling' lakes. You pay so much to fish and a the end of some time limit the biggest fish pays off.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

We would put out night sets sometimes on our little creek. It was maybe

20 feet wide and a bit over knee deep usually. We'd catch a carp now and then. The best fishing was when the river went up and we could spear fish. The fish would gather under mulberry trees sometimes. People in southern Louisiana fish or hunt for alligators. They hand stinky bait on hooks a couple feet over the water. They come back the next day to collect their winnings. This is usually a two person crew. One will drag the hooked gator to the boat and the other shoots it. Person is the operative word. The show "Swamp People" showed a couple women hunting gators. Not this one:
Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I've only seen it in a few area ponds. I could fish for trout just walking out back and across the road to a creek but it is stocked and I think that detracts from any wildness.

I fished a lot when I was younger but now find a lot of restrictions including salt water. We did a lot of surf fishing when I was a kid. Uncle had a jeep and we could drive out on the surf and fish. Now you need a permit just to drive on the beach.

Too many rules can take the fun out of things. I like to be outdoors and almost took up golf but didn't because of something like this.

Reply to
Frank

The regulations are not there to take the fun out ! .. the regulations are there to keep the fun in .. __ for future generations .. __

Please please please - do not equate fishing/angling .. ... with ... UUUGHH golf. You just insult all the anglers out there . ps: you can't insult a golfer ... John T.

Reply to
hubops

You could question my sanity but I used to fish in the Hudson. it was tidal water up to the Federal dam at Troy and no license was required. It helped if you weren't squeamish about eels.

Reply to
rbowman