Fishing.

If anyone had told me all those years ago that the industry which voted Brexit perhaps more than any other would be one of the first to start moaning when it was 'done' I'm not sure I'd have believed it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Is the moaning just as loud from those fishermen who sold their quotas to foreign firms?

Reply to
Scion

Just read a minister saying the answer was for us to eat more fishery products. Now I know what they really meant by getting back control. Telling us what we have to eat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Since everyone that voted for Brexit knew exactly what they were voting for, I've very little interest in hearing whinges from people that voted for Brexit over what they got.

I have a lot of interest and sympathy for people who knew what a car crash it would be and did everything they could legally (that was their mistake of course) to prevent it.

The irony being, I like mackerel.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The whole fishing row was dreamt up as a red herring. Fishing makes no major financial contribution to the country. Apparently a major portion of fishing caught by British boats goes to France. Storm in a tea cup. Did an excellent job of diverting attention to the whole debacle

Reply to
fred

*went* to France.
Reply to
Bob Eager

The whole UK video game market is bigger than fishing.

Harrods turnover is bigger than fishing.

Birmingham councils tax take is bigger than fishing.

But, as Boris said: "Fuck business" - a rare successfully delivered pledge. The exception that proves the rule.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

If you remember the discussions on here, I'd say very few indeed knew what they were voting for. But believed the lies from BoJo, Farage and perhaps more so the majority of written media.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Is that the Fisheries Minister who was too busy to read the Brexit Deal because she was organising a nativity trail?

Reply to
nightjar

I remember *very* clearly. Every single exchange I had with a Brexiteer involved them telling me (a) I was wrong, and (b) they knew exactly what they had voted for.

Even in the last days of 2020, no one suggested that Boris was not delivering what was promised. Well, no one who voted for Brexit. I voted against and have maintained since 2016 that eBay has a better reputation for delivering goods as described than what has been served up as Brexit.

Still Brexiteers are free to whinge to the BBC as much as they like now. Done deal and all that.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

If you're not interested in fish, here's how meat exports are also f***ed up

quote UK meat exporters have claimed post-Brexit customs systems are "not fit for purpose", with goods delayed for hours, sometimes days, at the border.

The British Meat Processor Association said even experienced exporters were struggling with the system.

It said meat exports to the EU were 25% of normal levels for this time of year. endquote

Truly Boris promise - Fuck Business - over delivered if anything.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Why do you hate Britain, Jethro?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

With a name like that he can't be a Brit.

Presumably a reverse Ghisliane Maxwell, reverse in two senses.

Reply to
Fred

Are you insinuating that Jethro isn?t a British name, two examples one old,

one more recent

Not as common in both senses of the word as Fred a lot of whom are Americans including a well know slightly stupid cartoon character with the surname Flintstone, perhaps your parents had seen it and were inspired when choosing your name.

GH

Reply to
Marland

It was a joke, Joyce. And I'm not a pom.

Reply to
Fred

Yup. From the Aberdeen Evening Express. An area of the country where fishing is a large part of the economy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Of course it's English. Was in the Archers. ;-) Not sure about Boris, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Says, "In 2019, the UK imported 721 thousand tonnes of sea fish, with a value of £3,457 million. It exported 452 thousand tonnes with a value of £2,004 million."

Now what is Harrod's turnover? This might give a clue:

Anyone would think you're a fanatical remainer? Could you dial it down and refrain from telling Remain lies?

Reply to
Fredxx

She seems to have a balanced work - life ethic. If I was PM I wouldn't expect her read the document on Christmas Eve either, nor would I expect a Civil Servant to brief her on the same day.

Reply to
Fredxx

And the Remain lies still keep coming. What did you say about fisheries and Harrods?

All the whingeing I see here is from Remainers. Oh, and Brexiters whingeing about Remainers whingeing about their perceived loss.

Reply to
Fredxx