Photography Q and eBay rant.

Is it just me, or if you buy a lens described thus "55 mm 0.45 X Macro Photographic Fish Eye Wide Angle Lens for Nikon D70"

Would you expect, having waited a week for the bloody thing to turn up, to be able to attach it directly to a D70? Cos you can't, it has a thread on it.

And for the photography question, Do I simply need one of these?

R D S

Wasn't by any chance advertised on FaceBook?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

If it says "Fitment:for Nikon D70 D3200 D3100 D5200" then yes I would.

I suggest you take them up on their policy of "speak to us before leaving negative feedback" perhaps suggest they supply you with the suitable adapter ring

Reply to
Andy Burns

No. I singled it out on ebay. Peril of picking cheap I suppose. Just want to get some use out of a camera back i've inherited that's probably not worth selling.

Reply to
R D S

There's no info at all for fitment, I was expecting it to have the correct mount from the description. Looking at others a lot of these are screw mount and need an adaptor. I should have been more on the ball.

Seller has about 62000 items for sale (no adapters!) and less than sparkling feedback, i'm not getting satisfaction there. I'll just buy an adapter elsewhere and move on.

Reply to
R D S

I think it might be intended to fit on the front of another lens (the standard lens that would have come with the camera originally). :facepalm:

I'll send it back. And probably end up opening a dispute for a refund.

Reply to
R D S

Common scam for 3rd party lenses that may require an adapter, which may also prevent some auto functions. I do get the impression on Ebay that there is a lot of lenses from older 35mm film cameras advertised to fit more modern cameras with an adapter. These tend to be without any auto features (auto focussing, auto f stop adjustment etc.) and much larger than a lens designed for the camera which may have a much small sensor (than 35mm film).

What for - your new lens or an existing "standard" lens?

Probably not the correct adapter for your new lens.

If it's for reversing your standard lens to use it for close(r)-up work just make sure that the filter screw thread on the front of your existing lens matches the screw thread size stated in the advert (55mm).

Any auto features are disabled because you are now using the filter thread to attach to the body of the camera (that side of the lens has no electrical contacts.

Also consider extension tubes (with or without reversing the lens) that fit between the camera and the body

Three different sizes of tube in the kit so you have a choice of magnification

You will have to stop down your lens a lot to get a reasonable depth of field with extension tubes so you may/will need more light - possible/probably a flash gun mounted so the the tube/lens does not block the light before reaching the subject being photographed. My compact camera has a build in flash unsuitable for use with extension tubes so I mount a flash gun on a tripod that is optically triggered from the cameras flash (slave flash).

With extension tubes its probably better to be in manual mode so that you can override the auto aperture setting to get the optimum depth of field and set a slow flash synced shutter speed where the flash duration controls the exposure. Moving objects such as outside in a light wind can be a PITA as the object moves in and out of focus and with a very shallow depth of field - hence flash photography rather than natural light.

Reply to
alan_m

just that searching ebay for your exact description, lead to an item that did say " Nikon D70 fitment", though it seems to screw into the filter ring of an existing lens, and looking again they seem ten a penny from multiple sellers.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, i've just learned that myself, sadly i've no lens for the D70.

Reply to
R D S

Correct. I've dropped a bungle Alan, it's supposed to screw onto the front of an existing lens.

Probably pretty obvious really the more I think about it, but i'm at point and shoot level when it comes to camera knowledge.

It does fit on the front of my Lumix FZ72 though so at least I can have a play with it.

Reply to
R D S

I'd say the last thing you want as your only lens is a fisheye one?

And don't most of those fit over another anyway?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

very decent little camera

£55 or so will buy you a nice little nikon zoom with te correct screw to slap on the front

I've got manual lenses that will fit...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had no trouble selling a D70 recently. It did have the original kit lens, though, but no original packaging. Got about £100 for it I think.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

you would be better off with the 55mm macro lens

Mind you, those go for £100+

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

alan_m

With hindsight always worth checking that the photos include one of the actual fitment. I would be suspicious of items on eBay from private sellers that are lacking in detail and dont have a good selection of photos covering the whole item including labels and markings.

Reply to
Robert

The screw thread on your new lens is possibly (Pentax) M42 and your Cannon D70 camera is EOS. Measure the screw thread on the lens.

An adapter can be found by Googling Cannon EOS bayonet to Pentax M42 adapter

BUT... view this first

alan_m

Yes (although the week probably does not come into it!)

That is designed to allow a "normal" lens to be reversed - by mounting it using it s filter mount thread. This gets you a macro capability with most lenses but with the loss of any automatic control of things like diaphragm and focus.

Reply to
John Rumm

It makes me wonder how good a quality the lens is if its in the incorrect mount. Attention to detail is obviously not their forte. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I've this lenseless D70 doing nothing and I want to stick a camera in front of a light box on a tripod and just leave it there permanently to take product shots.

Not sure how a fisheye lens would fare in this application but it looked like it was going to be the cheapest way of testing the water.

Reply to
R D S