Fishing.

Jethro Tull was an English agriculturslist credited with inventing the seed drill and starting the agricultural revolution. borm in 1674. His father was also 'Jethro', so the name's been around for some time.

Reply to
charles

If he were not going to expect that, he should not have left so little time between getting a deal and ending the transition period. As it was, his obstinacy in sticking to a rigid timetable put an obligation on his Ministers to check the deal in detail as soon as they got it.

Reply to
nightjar

Err, this thread is about Brexiteers whinging about a real loss to them.

But carry on as you started. Head in the sand. All of Farage's predictions are true.

BTW, hope all those in industry who voted Brexit are delighted the EU employment laws are to be rescinded. About time they did what they were told and work any hours their boss wants. Breaks are for wimps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Perhaps you'd like that extended to every single worker in the country (where possible)? No? Just why would that be?

Of course some poor sod in a shop forced to work Xmas eve doesn't matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

That is their choice. I would say if you really don't want to work Christmas Eve you really ought to have chosen an alternative career. There is always a choice.

Thankfully my line of work is I can generally choose my days off.

I also wonder if her opinion would have counted for much. If she had said no, do you really think that would have changed the whole deal? In reality I would expect her to already have put forward the most important salient points and let those with the bigger picture get on with it.

If she had read the deal, do you think the result would now be different?

If she had rang Boris and said 'no' would he have taken much notice? I sincerely doubt it. As others have said fisheries are a small portion of the UK economy, but still much larger than Harrod's turnover.

Reply to
Fredxx

Sounds good to me, I have no workers' rights. I doubt you do either albeit for different reasons.

The most booming economy is where you can hire labour without subsequent costs of shrinking your workforce if conditions demand/change.

Reply to
Fredxx

It's only in the last few decades that Christmas Eve has been such a 'not working day'. When I was young Christmas Eve was just a normal working day, if you were lucky, the boss told you to go home a couple of hours early.

Reply to
Chris Green

French boats are still allowed to catch more fish in UK waters than UK inshore boats can now, and can for another few years.

Naturally the French boats take their catch back to Boulogne and other places.

Reply to
Andrew

But in a few years time wouldn't the Labour Government reverse any erosion of workers rights in much the same way as they have done in the past?

They wouldn't even need prior approval from the EU!

Reply to
alan_m

Oh good grief. Labour doesn't 'restore workers rights'. It raises the cost of labour driving out small employers. Thats the whole POINT of health and safety and all this social legislation,. To make little companies unable to compete with inefficient huge ones.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Would you like to mention any significant way in which Labour have done that in the last fifty years? Because I can' think of one. It is often the subject of awful warnings from the Tory press, but it doesn't seem to have happened in reality.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Of course not. She's a thick yes-person, like virtually all of the government. They were chosen for that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

and then there is "Working on Christmas Day" which I had to do on quite a few occassions.

Reply to
charles

That was common in Scotland when I was young. Hogmanay was always a bigger celebration, but Xmas was a day for church.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Like not accepting a Ministerial post.

But she would be able to tell the people whose interests she is supposed to be looking out for that she did at least raise objections, not that she was too busy to check.

The poor (but still most profitable in the EU, with the second largest tonnage of ships) fishing industry has had a disproportionate political importance since the referendum.

Reply to
nightjar

And yet small business still thrives most obviously with tradesmen and car mechanics and people like that. In spades with those who trade on ebay etc.

Reply to
Fred

That?s because the most recent labour govts werent real labour govts.

Reply to
Fred

On 16/01/2021 19:27, Rod Speed wrote: ...

The time between getting the deal and ending the transition period was a matter of a few days. Business should have been given several months to prepare for the ending of the transition period, even if that meant extending it as part of the deal.

Reply to
nightjar

But extending the transition period would also have kicked down the road the deadline for negotiations on a deal.

Reply to
Robin

They may not make a major contribution, but to the fishermen whose jobs have been lost or will be lost it matters a great deal.

Reply to
critcher