Fishing.

QUOTE The Falkland Islands are back in the spotlight after being excluded from the UK-EU trade deal, meaning the British overseas territory will not benefit from commercial, tax and customs advantages that have been negotiated.

Products coming from the islands to the EU could now face tariffs, following the UK's departure from the bloc. It?s a major concern for the economy of the islands, which exports 90% of its fish to Europe. Local residents hope to eventually maintain the status quo, as 60% of the local government revenue comes from the fishery- related sector and 40% of GDP is dependent on this special relationship with the EU. ENDQUOTE

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I don't think that would have been a bad thing. The deal has obviously been rushed. However, what I said was that it could have been part of the deal. That would have not extended the deadline for getting a deal made, but would have given business time to get ready for the new regulations.

Reply to
nightjar

Err, Xmas day was a normal working day for most when I were a kid in Scotland. Well remember going to the toy department in a large store to spend my Xmas money. New Year's day was the holiday. But not in England.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Let me see now. Someone who's job it is to run the country is entitled to the normal public holidays regardless?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yup. Let's turn the UK into a sweatshop. For the sake of the economy. If only this was made plain at the time of the referendum. There then would have been far fewer turkeys voting for Xmas.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

And now they are driving trucks round Westminster in 'protest' for getting what they voted for (including not getting the Unicorns yet)?

I saw a TV item ages ago (~2 years) where some lady who ran a shellfish business selling live catch into the EU ('we' didn't want to pay the high prices and bought ours from the EU???), who actually told the interviewer that she would have to jump though a load more hoops post us leaving the EU (extra (vet?) checks of the stock pre dispatch) and loads more forms (each 'batch' needing it's own paperwork) but was still very much for us leaving the EU. She had even bought and converted her own vehicle in an effort to overcome any 'hurdles'.

I wonder if she's still in business (or she may not as she can't get any workers as they generally come from the EU and are paid less than the wage threshold).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They could sell it to us at a reduced price, europeans keep the cost high.

Reply to
jon
<snip>

Of course, just has every person / family who has lost their jobs because of competition, progress or a change of the rules.

This has been happening since the beginning of time and any 'smart' people re-train or diversify when they see the writing on the wall.

And the UK fishermen, (not making a significant input to the UK GPD) didn't seem to care about all the other UK workers in more 'relevant industries that could lose their jobs when voting for us all to leave the EU?

So if you vote for an unknown and especially where that decision is made by a tiny minority (suggesting it was far from wanted by 'most people') and based on dubious 'facts', you really get what's coming to you. Ironically, it means we all suffer.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

As I understand it, Michael Goves (adoptive) father ran a fish processing business in Aberdeen which closed as a result of the Common Fisheries Policy. This is why Gove is so anti-EU.

Reply to
charles

It became sweatshop UK when in the EU. You've been sheltered from the labour market from being retired. The first thing that happened after the vote was wages went up.

If it wasn't for Covid with the exodus of Eastern European immigrant workers and lack of workers as claimed by remainers, farm labourers etc, wages could only go up.

Reply to
Fredxx

Oil took over Aberdeen harbour. Fishing moved up the coast a bit to places like Peterhead. Same applied to all the premises round about the harbour. Oil companies paid more to use them than fishing earned.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Err, we were in the EU for much of my working life.

Tell that to my colleagues still working. They will be most surprised. And how any market reacts to the result of a vote short term is neither here nor there.

And I'm sure you believed that nice Mr Trump too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

How many Eastern Europeans are in your line of work?

I suspect the main source of pay increase was from the drop in £; where UK was no longer competitive in hiring East European who would go to other EU countries.

You are so wrong. What is it with remainers they think they know what I believe?

Reply to
Fredxx

And that's the point. Everything has a value / price (especially these days) and it's quite possible these fisherman could earn a living ... maybe even a better / more predictable living than the one they are doing that often damages the seabed, damages the viability of many species and causes the greatest levels of animal death (inc 'by catch') of any of those 'animal exploitation' industries.

I wonder how much (more) diesel and lost earnings it takes to land your catch in Denmark rather than your (UK) home port?

What people will do to be able to sell their product to the EU eh.

Makes you wonder if there was a way we could deal with the EU that could have been easier, fewer delays and less paperwork etc ... ? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

My line of work is common to just about every country in the world.

And were all the jobs those East Europeans did previously now filled by the UK born unemployed? If not we appear to have shot ourselves in the foot.

Meaning we now have a surfeit of farm etc labourers? Or is your wish to shrink the size of such things to push wages up? Supply and demand?

Well, you seem to be saying much the same as Trump said at his election.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I don't understand how we got to where we have on this

it ought to have been clear to a 3 year old that on leaving they would have more forms to fill in

why they aren't better prepared for that, makes no sense at all

Unless there's something else going on here

Reply to
tim...

the deal would have been done three days before the end of transition whatever the date was

It's how the EU work to extract the most concessions from the other side

I agree than ending transition on Dec 31st was a bit daft

Reply to
tim...

Not so much the form filling, but the time taken to get the fresh produce to the destination in the EU. It's called taking back control of our borders. And the EU doing the same. You cannot have control of a border without checking everything that goes through it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Surely it was the UK working to extract concessions from the EU? Since we already had an agreement with the EU, and it was the UK who broke that.

Even more so when the agreement was essentially the same as May negotiated months ago. Had that been agreed it would have left a reasonable time to sort out the nuts and bolts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

that hasn't changed

It is not the problem here