White Westing House tub moves

The tub keeps moving when I wash cloths. I push it back so that it's even all the way around but it quickly moves again like it's off balance. It moves so much that when the water comes in it's actually going behind the tub and in the washer.

Reply to
Kimberly

It sounds like you broke a spring or one just popped off. Lay it over on the side and take a look up there.

Reply to
gfretwell

Thats a name I have not heard in ages. "Westinghouse" Is that company still in business? If not, that machine must be at least 50 years old.

This looks to be a repost from the "hub" so who knows how old the post is. I normally do not post to these, but what the heck....

I agree, something must have broken that mounts the drum. If there really is an OP who is following this, I'd not leave it like that. It will self destruct rapidly.

Reply to
Bud

They merged with White. Or more precisely, White bought the large appliance section of Westinghouse. Westinghouse might still exist doing something else. Ask Betty Furness.

But my washing machine is 39 years old and works fine. A Kenmore (Whirlpool).

Reply to
micky

I have a Westinghouse 55" LCD TV. Somebody bought the rights to the name. And I have to say, for essentially a no-name, low cost TV, it's working great at 3 years. Previously I had an expensive Sony and it failed in less than 5 years. The ribbon cables that are bonded to the display panel start to come loose, it was a common problem, Sony offered some pitiful amount, like $500 towards another Sony. I did some research, some looking around and went with the Westinghouse.

Reply to
trader_4

On 9/1/2018 1:36 AM, snipped-for-privacy@Weiser.com wrote: ...

Circle-W sold the appliance business to White Sewing Machine Co. in mid-70s; became "White-Westinghouse" then. I think they eventually were bought up by somebody but don't know otomh.

Westinghouse began to lose their way clear back in the 50s-60s by getting enamored with the broadcasting side of TV and seeing "big bucks" in consumer finance after the wars (II and Korean). Bought into all kinds of non-core businesses as disparate as a toy manufacturer to 7-Up bottling. By the 70s-80s they're in the straits of having to sell off the technical portions of the business to keep the other afloat, in

1990(?) Westinghouse Credit goes belly-up w/ a $1B loss on bad consumer debt and sells off all the power generation business to Asea Brown Boveri (ABB) and by 1997 sells the nuclear energy division, its last major manufacturing asset to BNFL (British Nuclear Fuels, Ltd) and Siemens bought the rest of the non-nuclear power generation and distribution business shortly thereafter and Westinghouse, with nothing left of its former self, renamed itself to CBS. At some point Viacom bought CBS and that was the end of the original Westinghouse. Sad fate for George...

Toshiba acquired the BNFL assets and operates the nuclear division as Westinghouse Electric Company.

Siemens operated under the name of Siemens Westinghouse until early

2000's but dropped it as the name recognition became worthless and they smooshed all the specific technologies into their own.

In the 60s, "Circle W" was our prime competitor in the commercial nuclear fuel market and, of course, pioneered all the US nuclear navy reactors. We built all the fuel for the navy at the B&W NNFD (Navy Nuclear Fuel Division) at Mt Athos plant while NPGD (Nuclear Power Generation Division) operated in Lynchburg.

With the long hiatus in commercial nuclear power construction in the US, all the US vendors struggled to continue; B&W also went through several reorganizations after being acquired by McDermott but continues as B&W and BWXT which handles all the Navy and other government nuclear operations and B&W is the descendent of the original Babcock & Wilcox, still in non-nuclear power generation.

Reply to
dpb

Edison Electric in NJ eventually acquired them along with Frigidaire, Crosley, and a few others. Then they changed their name to Frigidaire because it had good brand recognition. They were eventually bought out by Husquevarna, and are now part of Electrolux.

As an aside, Frigidaire was a division of General Motors but was sold off sometime in the 60's or so.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Kimberly posted for all of us...

It is hard to tell what you are seeking from this post. I suggest that you get a real newsreader and find out what is being discussed and previously answered on the newsgroup: alt.home.repair You may get better results.

Reply to
Tekkie®