Subject Author Posted Replies

what is best glue to use?
I have a Silver Chest, circa 1950 that may have been dropped on a corner. The top is cracked. the corners have given way, and the interior shelf is loose. What is the best glue to use? epoxy based,...
3
3

home office light bulb issue
I have a home office in my spare bedroom. My overhead light fixture, which just uses one 60W light bulb, blew on Monday. I replaced the light bulb a nd used it yesterday while working. Late last...
30
30

leaking roof + insulation recomendation
Hi It has been raining like crazy here in Toronto to the point many houses flo oded. I noticed that some part of my roof are leaking. I noticed that in th e attic which has no insulation so the water...
10
10

Goodbye Internet
Have any of you noticed how the newsgroups are getting less and less used lately. Even this group ( used to be much more active, and the posts were much more on topic. These days use has significantly...
7
7

Moving a mattress
Preparing for a do-it-yourself move. Challenge is a California King foam mattress situated on the second floor. This was a hassle enough bringing in while new, it was wrapped and compressed. Any...
9
9

Be careful when the power goes off
A local business with apartments upstairs caught on fire recently after a storm knocked out the electricity. The storm caused flooding in the area, and because of the flooding, the building and other...
2
2

refrigerator runs
I have an old Maytag side by side refrigerator that my wife says runs all the time. Today she said the eggs were frozen so maybe she's right. Over the weekend I vacuumed out the bottom and as much of...
24
24

paper covering sheetrock
I was sanding a piece of sheetrock, but the paper covering is rough and I c an't get a smooth finish. What do you recommend? I was thinking of painti ng the paper with shellac to get it harden so that...
4
4

OT: nestork - About your image links
First, this is technically not a top-post. The info included below (starting at *****) was copied from something that nestork sent in response to one of my posts in another thread. I've included it in...
2
2

Telephone wire
I just had occasion to put in a new telephone outlet. I went down to Tru-Value and bought 50 ft of wire. I didn't have any choices, I got the last one in the store. My first problem was that I cut off...
41
41

Tuck Pointing or siding
I have a one family 2 story home. The back needs tuck pointing. I have no i dea of what is a comfortable price to have it done. Then a friend mentioned to me why not do siding? Now i am torn between...
6
6

Many uses for Vise-grips
Many uses for Vise-grips Man shot with arrow in head, feels great after it's removed. That's the headline from Leno's Headlines last night. Shot by an ex-roommate with a cross-bow, the arrow went in...
7
7

Kenmore dishwasher 665 16372301
I own a Kenmore dishwasher. It stopped working about 3 days ago. At that ti me, I was able to select the type of wash and rinse. The corresponding ligh t above the button would light up. No other...
7
7

Septic Tank Treatments (Rid-X, etc.) ?
Hello, Any of you folks have any experience with the Rid-X product I think it's called, or any other septic tank treatments, as to prolong the time required between pump-outs ? Stuff work, or... ? Any...
4
4

Painting contractor
Long time lurker here, great group BTW. I need to hire someone to stain my place, and the economy must be good, or maybe what I have in mind doesn't appeal to painters. I bought stain last year...
8
8