Kitchen drain cleaning

Yesterday, a friend asked my help, to clear a kitchen drain. Sure, but on Monday. I went and looked. Two basin sink, with the necessary drain, J trap and such. Plastic drain tubing. There is a Fernco coupler, and then the drain, with a slight pitch. The drain goes out, some where. I didn't go trace the drain line.

The HO and I unhooked the drain, with the threaded nut. Let the water out of the sinks. Loosen the clamp on the Fernco.

I managed to run the drain snake in, maybe eight feet or so. Came out with a LOT of light colored grease, on the last three or so feet of snake. One of these, but no drill attachment:

Put the drain back together, and pour in some water. No joy, not draining. I went home and got some lye crystal drain opener. No joy. He had two plungers, I tried those. He tried boiling water. No joy. Still standing water.

I had another call. I left, and came back. We took the drain apart. Again. This time, I ran the snake until I hit a hard stop. Not going any more. This time, the drain runs. He insisted on put some lye crystals in, and a load of hot water. The lye fumes nearly killed us both, and got his wife, too. But, the drain runs freely, now.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Aren't you going to blame the fumes on Obama?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hmm, I have to ask this question now after all this time. Are you Jack of all and Master of none? Really what are you? Licensed electrician? HVAC tech., plumber, carpenter, mechanic?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Mormon

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Nope. His guys probably outlawed lye as too powerful. The lye stuff from Home Depot was probably made during the Bush environmental nightmare years.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Mostly just up to my eyes in debt, and need anything that pays money. It's the Obama economy, you know. Massive depression.

My real title is locksmith.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've got a few titles, including Hey You, and Brother Young. I had the feeling he as asking about employment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He's a handyman, as are a lot of us here.

Reply to
willshak

Stormy,

Nonsense, the lie is really important.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Yes, well said. I'd be working at one of my trades, if there was work. But, no. Just have to do what I can to get by.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Exactly. Obama replaced lye with lie.

Reply to