Duct tape and early failures

In another group I was reading about the duck tape - duct tape controversy, and it reminded me about Apollo 13 and the US space program, and that made me think about all the rockets that misfired and crashed (sometimes right on the launch pad), the vehicle that sank, and the men who burned to death in their spacecraft.

And then I thought about those who wanted Obamacare disbanded, they said, because it didn't work, starting when part of it was 3 weeks late.

And I'm just glad the Tea Party and today's Republicans weren't in charge of the USA Space Program or when it didn't work right they would have cancelled it and we'd never have made it to the moon.

Reply to
RememeberWhen

Lets take some time, and compare that. Suppose a bunch of liberals ran the space program. We'd have suits, that the control staff wasn't diverse enough. Need to hire Astronauts of Color. Doesn't matter if the Affirmative Action Astronaut can work the controls, just put him in the capsule. And we need a bunch of women and minorities at ground control. The rocket emits too much carbon, got to use ethanol for fuel, instead of petroleum. And that needs to be reduced by about 25%. We also need environmental impact study, see what it does to seagulls. I'm so, so, glad those were liberal Democrats in the space program.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm so glad that Nasa hired competent engineers. They made mistakes, sure, but if they had been the sort of losers responsible for healthcare.gov we'd have never made it to the moon.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Don't you think NASA needed more diversity? Women, and minority hires, rather than old grey haired white guys with slide rules, and college educations?

And, get a load of that carbon footprint! Gee, totally unexcusable.

What's the use of having a rocket that blows all that emissions, if you don't have diversity?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

NASA was the only game in town if the U.S. was going to the moon. There were no companies selling tickets for flights there. The people involved with the space program were building first of a kind equipment. They had to learn on the fly. Not so with the Obamacare. It's hard to believe the U.S. doesn't have competent, experienced people who could've don a lot better job with the website. It must be just coincidence this particular firm was picked for the job. Surely a company executive knowing Ms. O from college days had nothing to do with the company's selection for the project. Newsmax article here if anyone is interested:

Dean Hoffman

Most of the "engineers" in the early NASA days were ex-AVRO guys from Canada. If the Arrow had been allowed to see the light of day, it would have changed military aviation - moved it ahead about 40 or more years.

Reply to
clare

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, snipped-for-privacy@nationalvelvet.com belched:

your ignorance and bigotry is showing

BTW it's my understanding that it took 50 million lines of code to put a man on the moon(little room for mistakes) bammycare has over 500 million lines of code and is still a clusterfuck And rports keep coming in on fuckups(security) holes that were well known before the rollout

Reply to
ChairMan

the problem with the world now is that the bureaucrats are in charge.

when the engineers actually have a say, things are better.

the challenger accident is a good example

think about how business used to operate. a blacksmith for example knew ho w to do he job and he hired an apprentice. The smith was in charge and he knew what he was doing. These days companies are run by professional manag ers who went to business school and often don't know a thing about the jobs they are in charge of.

Do you think doctors and nurses designed the ACA?

We can fix all this if you elect me as president....

Mark

Reply to
makolber

bureaucrats are in charge.

things are better.

a blacksmith for example knew how to do he job and he hired an apprentice. The smith was in charge and he knew what he was doing. These days companies are run by professional managers who went to business school and often don't know a thing about the jobs they are in charge of.

You'd need the endorsement of the Diebold Electronic Voting management. You vote, we decide.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You can't be serious! that boondoggle never got off the ground....well, it did get "off the ground" but only in ground effect and very poorly at that . As for "most of the engineers" bit dthat is false. If EVERY one of thos e engeneers had been ex-Avro it stillwouildn't have added up to "most".

The biggest and most amazing stupidity of all was building a capsule with a pure oxygen environment. That in spite of the accident the Russians had d oing just that. That any engineer would not see the disaster sure to happe n by doing that is pure D unbelievable.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K