Subject Author Posted Replies

Help drain water heater
I think I've had this problem before butt it's sitting in a drain pan, not elevated above the pant lips. What can I do to drains the water heaters? Use a hosed? Will I half to destroy my pants? Should...

Need To Drain Water Heater
But it is sitting flat in a drain pan, not elevated above the pan lip. What can I do to drain the water heater with a hose? Will I have to destroy the pan? Should the heater have been elevated to...
2
2

Chimney liner
I'm installing a 35'x5" round aluminum chimney liner because my exterior ch imney (terracotta inside block) is showing wet spots in the mortar joints. I have a 36,000 btu gas fired hot water heater...
11
11

Anchoring a Sail Shade to the house
I'd like to put up a sail shade, or two, out over my patio. It will need metal anchors, attached to the house. Is there a good way to find the near-center of the outer joist? I wonder if I can find...
4
4

Anything wrong with grounding metal conduit to a cold water pipe in a 2-wire house?
During a kitchen remodel in my mom's circa 1948 house (post WWII made out o f reinforced concrete!) with 2-wire electrical and metal conduit, I mention ed to my brother and nephew that, since it was...
24
24

DIY showerhead flow restrictor
I noticed the post last month about Automatic Hot Water Reduction to Control Long Showers. I just want to reduce the flow to one shower, but use the same head as in the other bathroom. The Google...
19
19

OT: unless you work with photocopiers at home or at work.
Your photocopier at home or at work may contain a hard drive. This is an old item. 4/21/2012 or: CBS Nightly News report on the dangers of used copying machines being resold. For collaborations and...

Target Hack Blamed on HVAC company
Target Hackers Broke in Via HVAC Company Last week, Target told reporters at The Wall Street Journal and Reuters that the initial intrusion into its systems was traced back to network credentials that...
1
1

Pavers or Tile over Asphalt Driveway?
Anybody ever laid down brick, tile, etc, over an asphalt driveway? Mine is good and solid with a few small cracks starting. No potholes yet. If I had the $$, I would tear it out and put down a brick...
18
18

OT - PBS Special - "Super Skyscrapers"
Lots of very interesting stuff about the building of the new One World Trade Center building. With the tower, the building comes to 1776 feet tall. It's a remarkable story about how huge projects come...
32
32

Water Heater Drainage
Hi All, My water heater is sitting in a drain pan. I don't see how I can drain it without elevating it above the lip of the drain pan to attach a hose. It was that way when I bought the house. Any...
47
47

Great old Maytag washer getting oil on clothes
We have a great old 1988 Maytag washer, model LA612. Lately, we've had a few oil or grease spots show up on clothes when they come out of the washer. We phoned the local repairman and he said he'd do...
4
4

OT, From Russia With Love
I must find things that make me laugh other than those excreta who post here so I came across another Eastern Europe video that will interest those who possess a sense of humor. You don't have to...

Cost of trailer heater tape?
Guy across the street from me had his water freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip. He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them. They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater tape, under his...
20
20

"Toilet fishing apparently banned at Sochi Olympics"
Didn't I read that you shoudlnt' go to Sushi in months that contain an R?
12
12