Subject Author Posted Replies

Why do they have a 3-prong plug
Just a wild guess but maybe some sort of built-in surge or over-voltage suppression?
5
5

Triple expansion steam engine
That's a small one. I was a watertender (CG license lingo for boilerman) on a couple Great Lakes ships with triple expansion steam engines. The Standard Oil "Indiana" and Cleveland Tankers "Rocket."...
8
8

OT USA check in foreign denomination
After two weeks, I found my checkbooks in my suitcase. They are black and th e bottom of the suit case is black, so I can give them checks while I'm here, and I won't run out of money since I brought...
11
11

Portable AC platform
Use a commode - they come with a bucket built in.
42
42

Amazon return follow up
There was a recent thread asking about returns to Amazon. Had my first experience with an item I bought a week ago. It broke, so I decided to return it. Talk about easy. 8:30 PM went on line and set...
16
16

Moss & Lawns
What is the best way to get rid of patches off moss on lawns?
4
4

220v socket is loose
I'm renting a room from a woman and the power is 220 Volts. More than once she has scorched one pin of her room heater's plug. The last guy who replaced it adviced her to only turn on one of the two...
9
9

Air in central heating -- header tank
Should a header tank not be connected so the pipe is vertical, to make air bubble up into it as it passes? This would bleed the system automatically. Mine is horizontal, and the air always ends up in...

Huge foundry from 100 years ago
Thanks for posting - I like the chimney demolition story. The factory-on-the-river photo reminded me of where I grew up - - in a southern Ontario textile region - where the rivers were used for power...
4
4

Main water valve
Turn off the main water supply but water is still flowing in the house
10
10

2 x 4's the old ones
Many were built using "local lumber".Others used Douglas Fir or old growth white pine, or even old growth spruce. The "local lumber" could be anything from jack pine to white cedar to elm, maple,...
36
36

Slightly sloping ceilings
Maybe lots of pictures, but that AC unit looked ridiculous.
19
19

OT. Chuck Berry was 90.

Car aircon in winter
I've just repaired my car aircon (rusted pipe, big leak) and filled it with one can of gas (to 31.5 PSI - although the instructions say it should be 33-38). The compressor now spins (it didn't when...
4
4

What is this old car, with rounded shell, inch thick wood interior?
Can you tell anything about this old auto from the photos? (*) round back (*) wood interior (*) external fenders (*) mounted on a frame Is there a good way to tell what kind of solid wood was used?...
26
26