Toilet Bowl Cleaners ?

Hello,

Could anyone please suggest a toilet bowl cleaner that actually works, other than the one(s) that are apparently nothing but Hydrochlorlic (HCl) acid ?

And, anything specific for that bluish-green stain that is fairly common I imagine ? Possibly some kind of Sulfate deposit from the water itself ?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Bob

The stain is from stuff in the water. I'd try CLR if no one give a better reply on exactly what it is and how to eliminate it.

For normal cleaning, I use a glug or two of bleach and brush it around but I never get those blue stains.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Suggest a cleaner that works other than the one that works? You might try phosphoric acid. You can find it in Home Depot around the concrete supplies. It's used to etch concrete but is not as aggressive as hydrochloric. It's sometimes used to descale coffee makers. Even vinegar might work but I wouldn't count on it.

Reply to
rbowman

I seem to recall these cleaners contain hydrochloric acid at half the strength of what is sold as Muriatic acid or about 35% HCl. They also seem to contain a viscosity booster and dye to cling to sides of toilet. You could cheaply make your own but be careful the strong acid fumes and dilute it where you will not have to breathe them.

Something wife used to use Iron Out which contains sodium metabisulfite and sodium hydrosulfite. It was quite effective. I note that the metabisulfite does not seem to work alone as I tried stuff left over from my wine making days used to help yeast keep clear of bad strains.

Reply to
Frank

On Wed 26 Jul 2017 05:37:54a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

We havea tried CLR, chlorine bleach, and a host of other toilet cleaning products, none of which worked. We now use ZEP Commercial acidid toilet bowl cleaner. It's cleaning ability is nothing short of amazing. However, the container does not specify what type of acid it contains.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 26 Jul 2017 11:10:32a, Oren told us...

Those usually scratch the porcelain.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

No, but the MSDS does....

HYDROCHLORIC ACID; muriatic acid; hydrogen chloride; HCl

7647-01-0 5 - 15 SULFAMIC ACID; amidosulfonic acid; amidosulfuric acid 5329-14-6 1 - 5 QUATERNARY AMMONIUM CHLORIDES; blend of alkyl dimethylbenzyl ammonium chlorides, alkyl dimethyl ethylbenzyl ammonium chlorides, and ethanol 85409-23-0; 68391- 01-5

The last bunch are surfactants.

It might be worth buying a pound and seeing if the sulfamic gets rid of the mineralization by itself. If not, throw in a little HCL.

1 - 5
Reply to
rbowman

On Wed 26 Jul 2017 06:49:41p, rbowman told us...

Thanks for the valuable information. We are very careful with it and since it's the onlyh product we've been happy with the results, we will continue to use it.

We were aware that it contained acids, but not the breakdown you supplied. We have always used laboratory grade chemicala resistant gloves.

Sorry if this wasn't hepful to the OP.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Wayne Boatwright wrote in news:XnsA7BED2C22C32Awayneboatwrightxgmai@69.16.179.45:

Does the container say anything about septic tanks - safe?

Reply to
KenK

Blue means copper.

Maybe this link will help:

On Thu 27 Jul 2017 10:48:22a, KenK told us...

It does not mention septic tanks, but we don't have one.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Bon-Ami. Doesn't scratch.

I think there is a special product for copper stains but I don't remember what it is, Zud?

Reply to
micky

On Thu 27 Jul 2017 07:39:47p, micky told us...

Zud will take most stains out. We always have a can around, but it doesn't work on the type of toilet stain we have.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright