Removing superficial scratches from toilet bowl...

Barkeeper's Friend. Make a paste, let sit a while, scrub gently. If that doesn't completely remove the marks, try Zud, same method, scrub very gently so as not to scratch the porcelain.

Reply to
Luke

Somehow even though I was using one of those toilet snakes with a plastic sleeve, I managed to leave a few scratch marks on the toilet bowl where the tip rubbed against the surface. I was surprised that even without force just a little careless dragging of the tip left scratches.

The scratches appear as aluminum-colored streaks against the white bowl and are apparantly superficial (i.e., you can't feel the scratch).

I tried cleaning them with a scrubbing sponge and ajax which removed some of the marks but still left them visible.

Any suggestions?

Jeff

Reply to
blueman

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 22 Jul 2005 04:08:39 GMT "George E. Cawthon" posted:

That's been my experience, and I even got much of it off with my finger, rubbing hard until the finger starts to get hot. (Skin never leaves scratches.) (A friend was removing his bathtub doorframe and though he scraped the tub. But like you say, it was the other way around.)

Also the cleanser with the little chick on the round box and "hasn't scratched yet" is good. Can't remember the name.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Those many not be scratches depending on the hardness of the metal in the snake. For example if the metal of the snake was aluminum or soft iron, those marks would be the metal smear on the porcelain not a scratch since the porcelain is harder than the metal. ZLR will probably dissolve the metal smear and a pumice blocks should rub it off.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I looked for Zud, Clr, and several of the other poster suggestions at my local Home Cheapo, but couldn't find them. Instead, I found an acid-based (HCl) toilet bowl cleaner. I applied it, let it sit for about 15 minutes, and was able to easily rub out the "scratches" with a sponge.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Reply to
blueman