OT: What's the point in vibrating mobiles?

So you're somewhere like a cinema, or a meeting, where you don't want to disturb anyone. So you put the phone on vibrate. Then what? Have a phonecall in front of everyone? Disturb everyone by leaving?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You look at who's calling and then decide what to do. Choices include answering it, dismissing it, sending a brief text, checking VM when you have a chance to hear a message. I guess you don't use a phone much.

Reply to
trader_4

I use it a lot, but if I'm somewhere that doesn't allow phonecalls or it would be rude to do so, I stop using it altogether, not start fiddling with it or leaving the room and disturbing everyone.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Depends on your level of ignorance and self importance.

Polite and civilized people ignore the phone when engaged with others. Rare exceptions may be if your wife goes into labor or the President is recruiting you to be this weeks Attorney General.

We survived centuries without cell phones so waiting a bit longer for a call probably won't change your life.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Exactly. Anyone calling me can wait.

Very rare.

Indeed. In fact my cell usually stays at home and gets used as a house phone. Until they're waterproof, they're unfit for purpose. There's this thing called rain that happens outside you see, it's why they made watches waterproof.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

what about people who go to the restroom?

Reply to
Meanie

My cell phone is only turned on when out of the house. I like the security in case there is a problem.

I have a bad habit of telling people when they offend me with their phone habits like using at a movie.

Reply to
Frank

[teacher mode] Wh y didn't you go before the class started?!
Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yes, the teachers (and others) who think they know when another person's body function will occur.

Reply to
Meanie

It occurs a long time after the last one, unless you're a baby.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Fri 28 Jul 2017 08:49:55a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

Well said! I've been in a few meetings (before I retired) when every five minutes someone was either jumping up to answer the damn phone and take it outside the room, or actually carry on a conversation (somewhat discreeetly), but of course interrupting the meeting.

I always left my phone on the conference room table, but had it set to neither ring or vibrate. I could visibly see if a call came in. I can't recall a single instance where I had to respond in any way for any call.

You'd think that the vast number of people (particularly younger people) considered their phone a body part that must be attended to instantly.

Not too long ago we were in a very nice restaurant where a couple of businessmen were seated. One of them placed a very length and loud call to someone and it annoyed enough people near him that the manager suggested that he take the phone to the vestibule or outside.

Self-entitlement and sheer rudeness are two of the worst attributes of a nuge number of people today. They seem to think that the world exists for them alone.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 28 Jul 2017 09:38:53a, Meanie told us...

Not the best option, but probably better than disrupting everyone around them while they carry on a conversation.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 28 Jul 2017 09:46:11a, Frank told us...

We have a land line but it's only connected to our fax machine and computer. We each have cell phones and they're turned on all the time except for those situations where it shouldn't be used. We won't use them or answer them in a store, restauranmt, in the car, or anywhere else that others are gathered.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Idiot. The iPhone 7 and Samsung Galaxy S8 are IP67 and IP68 certified, respectively. They can handle a little rain. In fact just about any cell phone can handle the rain. It's not like we're dropping them in puddles all day.

You're just trolling as usual. Even your main question makes no sense. Phone are used for texting, email, sexting, Twitter, SnapChat, Instagram, etc. There's more than just phone calls as a reason to use vibrate mode, but you already knew that. You're just being a dick.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't use it at all -- I don't carry a mobile phone around. I do have an old "dumb" cell phone, but that's only taken on long trips for emergencies, and it is -always- turned off.

I do have a "landline" phone at home, but I don't answer it. Answering machine takes any calls. And I have nomorobo to cut off all the junk calls after one ring.

You can't call me.

Reply to
John Albert

Or unless one drinks much water or has bladder issues. I understand your self-righteousness but you are not the guru of other people's body functions. If you don't like people getting up during a movie, don't go to the movie theater.

Reply to
Meanie

The question was a rebuttal of his comment of "everyone leaving". I completely agree with the inconsiderate ass who talks on a phone but many people who leave aren't doing so to talk on the phone. Nature calls at odd times.

Reply to
Meanie

When you hear someone making a call in a cubicle, start answering back, it really pisses them off.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Most people don't have bladder problems. You are a very small minority.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Vibrating is used when you you cannot hear the ring.

Reply to
Thomas